TC-ER wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchasteen

I would like a better explanation of the proper uses of TC-ER wire. It seems like a great thing but in a true industrial setting, it doesnt seem practical to use it.

Example:

I am removing old VSD controllers and installing new ones. My old set up is in a Industrial setting with rigid pipe and TC tray cable.

The new set will allow me run TC-ER cable, with out pipe, straight to and from the new VSD. It will be in cable tray most of the way.

The issue I see is the physical damage issue and how to properly protect it from the "Unqualified workers".

Is this covering suppose to be as solid as a rigid or IMC installation?

Do you need to use strain relief?

The code as I understand it says that TC-ER can be left unprotected if only "Qualified workers" are around it.

What guidline determines "Qualified workers"?

I really think this could be a great product but I need a better explanation of its uses and installation procedures.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I see the product you refer to http://www.alphawire.com/pages/awis1.cfm Series V, bottom of page, and the 2005 NEC references http://www.alphawire.com/pages/awis2.cfm requiring [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]that "conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] service the installation[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]."

Since, neither "
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]qualified person," nor "[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]maintenance" and "supervision" is [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]defined in the NEC, your local AHJ may be the only source that may have an answere to this question. If your best effort finds an AHJ that doesn't know or care, then my prior comments on this subject, may also apply to you.

My observation was made in the safety forum earlier this year.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Given all the code exceptions granted for industrial maintenance and supervision, it seems buildings can burn to the ground, as long as they are supervised.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
"Qualified Person" is, in fact, a defined term - see Article 100. The other terms are defined by common usage; but, if necessary, then by the Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition.

Back to the OP. The protection may not necessarily be mechanical but location. The ?EG? stands for ?exposed run.? They may be located where the cable is not likely to be damaged by the facility?s operation. Elevation, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.