Tape and 90 degree conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul32

Near as I can tell, electrical tape is limited to 80 degrees C. I first saw a 105 degree limit, then it said 80 degrees elsewhere, I don't remember what package now. The super 88 I have shows the 105 next to a CSA logo, so I guess CSA thinks the same tape UL limits to 80 can go to 105? Seems odd. But in the US it looks to me like it is limited to 80, and that is in the general information, so there is no such thing as 90 or higher tape to use in the US?

The situation where I would need 90 tape is to cover the weenie wire nuts for a luminaire that requires 90 degree conductors. The electrican covered those wire nuts in at least one instance in our house (but I doubt that light needs 90 degree conductors). I think it is more important to use the right tape than to cover the wire nuts. I'm talking about the wire nuts already installed to connect the multiple lampholder's wires together to a pigtail. I throw away the weenie wire nuts that come with it for installation, like I suspect most others do. I'm not sure how they cram 5 or 6 18 AWG stranded wires in the little nut, but the luminaire is listed so the nut shouldn't fall off, right? Do others cover those wire nuts, and if so, in cases that require 90 degree conductors?

bonerac

Re: Tape and 90 degree conductors

Paul if i understand you correctly your talking about the small white or blue wire nuts that come with the light?If these are the ones your talking about the only thing we use those for t-stat and phone wire. What we use are the new 3-M wire nut.there's 3 sizes orenge/blue(small) red/yellow(medium) blue/grey(large). These are a few more pennys a piece but well worth the price.

paul32

There are two cases of wire nuts. First, the ones that come with the light for connecting the light to the conductors in the box. These I throw away and use yellow ideals. Second are some that come attached to wires on the light. For example, one with 4 separate lampholders has those 4 wires plus a pigtail already connected together with a small wirenut. I have seen this case wrapped with tape by another electrican, which led to two questions:
1. Do others put tape on those wirenuts? I'm not sure what to think about importance.
2. Am I right that there isn't tape that can be used where 90 degree conductors are required?

bonerac

If I'm installing a new light then i leave the small wire nuts alone.If i pull an old light down then i change all the wire nuts in the light but i don't tape them.I also have not seen tape rated for 90 degrees c.Hope this helps.

tonyi

3M 62 teflon is very high temp tape - good to 180C

hurk27

I think 3&M tape 33 Plus has a 90 deg listing?

If you ever look inside of those wire nuts that come with the fixtures you will see why the manufacture uses tape on the splices in the fixtures.
There is no spring in them to keep the wire nut from falling off when the wire is pulled on. and most fall apart even with the tape.

Some of the better grade fixtures do use better wire nuts.

pierre

Taping wirenuts is not illegal, but it can present several problems. How about trying to test for voltage without taking the wirenut off? Like Hal so calmly said :) The correct wirenut should eliminate the need for tape.

A question about the tape and conductors, excuse me if this has already been discussed.

There are a lot of fixtures today that require 90 degree celcius conductors as per installation instructions. Would taping the older conductors be a permitted way to install one of these fixtures to the older wiring?

Pierre

hurk27

I have found one thing over the years is:
Tape does not keep moisture out of a connection.
It keeps it in if anything.
I don't know how many times I have taken apart a splice that was subject to moisture that was taped and had water run out of the connection when it was open. This was weeks after any rain that could have caused the moisture in the first place. so when I do a splice in a outside box that might be subject to moisture I try to keep the wire nuts with the small end pointing up so they will drain. Now I use the Ideal blue DB twister's that have the dielectric grease in them never had one fail yet. But they are a little on the costly side but I think there worth it.

paul32

I always relate tape and wire nuts to DIYers, a pro should know better
I started this because the electrician that did our house put tape on the wire nuts pre-installed in the luminaire.

clate

ok, i didn't want to say this but you guys are really putting down people for something that is truly a perogative, i work in a factory as an electrician, i apreciate tape. some we are talking about machines and units that shake the very buildings, and these are big buildings. (vibration), second if i start trouble shooting things i want to see tape because many times there are live circuits included. personal comfort.

PS. i know I'm going to take heat for this reply.

ccha9219

If heat is the problem use ceramic wire nuts. I use the in commercial kitchens for heat lamps and food prep and warming stations, as well as fryers and the like...
as for tape, WHO cares... it's not a requirement per the nec. if it makes you FEEL safer, tape away, jap rap is as good as 3M...either way you'll have a sticky mess once it warms up :roll:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

...we are talking about machines and units that shake the very buildings, and these are big buildings. (vibration)

Tell me how ANY vibration is going to shake lose a properly installed wire nut. Ever come across those old Scotch Locks that you have to cut off because you can't even unscrew them when you need to? Any vibration that bad is going to cause other more serious problems.

I'm sticking to my story- tape is totally unnecessary and a PITA! :p

-Hal

hurk27

I don't think there is anything that will shake a connection worse than the jump and dance the wires do in conduit when a transformer or motor inrush current hit's it. Yes it is only for a short time but add together all the times it is turned on and that's allot of vibration. Never had a wire-nut fail one one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.