Taking the exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rob, just out of curiosity, do they accept any out of state licenses or experience?
I believe that they still do. Years ago when I took the exam they accepted my work experience from out of state. I believe that it just comes down to proving your experience to their satisfaction and now you'll need proof of completing an apprenticeship program.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
JUST passed my exam today! super pumped about it. Florida unlimited EC

I have helped four or five guys get their licenses.
I told a couple of them once they get their score and walk into the hall if there were someone there slapping their mama, it wouldn’t wipe the smile off their face...

anthonysolino

I have helped four or five guys get their licenses.
I told a couple of them once they get their score and walk into the hall if there were someone there slapping their mama, it wouldn’t wipe the smile off their face...
man you Aint lyin' all that studying and countless hours behind a highlighter, its all worth it, all I have now is the little 50 question business exam which I don't think will be that bad. after that its still a long road too getting the license number W'2 submittals and all that ring around the rosy type stuff. I got the LLC and every thing out the way thankfully.

thomasbl7

JUST passed my exam today! super pumped about it. Florida unlimited EC
Congratulations on Passing the exam. What material did you use to study? My brother is preparing to take his EC and there is a list of books. He prefer not to have to purchase them all do to financial restraints. Can you give me a recommended list of the books needed besides nec,keyword index,,and 1926? Thanks

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I am 22 years old and would love to fulfill my Electrical contractor exam. I am in the state of New Jersey and would like to know how long does it take to be eligible for the test. Also , what are the best Mike Holt supplies to get to study. Thanks
For me I was 24 when I took the exam, I had to show 4 years of electrical employment and 3 years of electrical theory and application ( school )
Also took a California contracting business course which basically teaches the law end of being a contractor. The exam was 4 hours, finished in 3.
They don't tell you if you pass until that day you get a letter in the mail ... probably the most exciting day of my young life was feeling a hard card shaped object within the envelope. It's a lot of work Spencer but its a great decision, if you go through the long process. good luck

Ps. The easiest part of being an electrical contractor is getting the license.

anthonysolino

Congratulations on Passing the exam. What material did you use to study? My brother is preparing to take his EC and there is a list of books. He prefer not to have to purchase them all do to financial restraints. Can you give me a recommended list of the books needed besides nec,keyword index,,and 1926? Thanks
Hey man sorry it took so long i didn't manage to get on last night. i brought all the books on the list in with me. there was a few questions from each book on my exam, i will say the 72 document is asked about heavily, and of course be confident with your voltage drops i had probably 6 questions related to it, i will say learn the inverse of the forumlas, ie. solving for Kcmil or distance instead of VD it will save you alot of time, some of the calcs seemed to be loving aluminum wire. also mikes florida electrical contractror prep workbook was a HUGE help i got lucky and a friend of mine let me borrow his. my approach was i skipped EVERY SINGLE calc till the end of the exam, it saved me hours where i had time to kick back and relax to just focus on the math part, did all the look up question first. if your in florida and its a pearson vue test, USE THE SOUND CANCELING HEAD PHONES they provide i cant begin to tell you how much it kept me in the zone. before i knew it the test was over, also theres a little desk light attached to the work stations, dont be affraid to turn it on and create you a nice orginzed work space, i set that desk up like i was at home in my office.

anthonysolino

sorry i got off topic! lol but i would say its kind of hard to pass the exam with out them unfortunately the battery of questions i was asked i had to pull answers from just about every book. it does suck to have to spend the money but theres a good website called contractor campus that provides you with the entire line up for a good price mike recommends palm-school but i bought some of my stuff from contractor campus

thomasbl7

sorry i got off topic! lol but i would say its kind of hard to pass the exam with out them unfortunately the battery of questions i was asked i had to pull answers from just about every book. it does suck to have to spend the money but theres a good website called contractor campus that provides you with the entire line up for a good price mike recommends palm-school but i bought some of my stuff from contractor campus

Thanks for the info, hope you much success into your business!!! Will check out the book store you mentioned.

spencercagen

Occupation
Electrician
For me I was 24 when I took the exam, I had to show 4 years of electrical employment and 3 years of electrical theory and application ( school )
Also took a California contracting business course which basically teaches the law end of being a contractor. The exam was 4 hours, finished in 3.
They don't tell you if you pass until that day you get a letter in the mail ... probably the most exciting day of my young life was feeling a hard card shaped object within the envelope. It's a lot of work Spencer but its a great decision, if you go through the long process. good luck

Ps. The easiest part of being an electrical contractor is getting the license.
Thanks for responding. I’m 22 on my 2nd year employed doing electrical. I made the wort decision of my life and attended to lincoln tech ( trade scho ) for one year full time. What was the hardest part on the exam.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Thanks for responding. I’m 22 on my 2nd year employed doing electrical. I made the wort decision of my life and attended to lincoln tech ( trade scho ) for one year full time. What was the hardest part on the exam.

Hi Spencer, The most difficult part of the exam for me was the law of knowing about filing liens, preliminary notices etc . .although I've only had to take 1 person to court in the last 30 years, won the case but never did get paid due to their Bankruptcy , The trade part of the exam was code based and had a lot of blue print details. The positives do out weigh the negatives. I did give the business a break after the first 14 years decided to join the Ibew, took their journeyman exam which was a 5 year program based on one 4 hour test, that was more trade extensive I thought than the CSLB Exam.

Anyway not to share my whole life history but the Ibew was good for 10 years, met a lot of great electricians loved the team spirit but it was very political, when I left they had over 1000 of us sitting on the books for a year, decided it was best to depend on my own efforts, dusted off the ol' C10 license and have been at it again for over 10 years now. End note : you picked a great Trade, it will provide well for you, just always respect electricity, always be cautious and never lower your guard. , it is not forgiving and is always ready to complete the circuit.

spencercagen

Occupation
Electrician
Hi Spencer, The most difficult part of the exam for me was the law of knowing about filing liens, preliminary notices etc . .although I've only had to take 1 person to court in the last 30 years, won the case but never did get paid due to their Bankruptcy , The trade part of the exam was code based and had a lot of blue print details. The positives do out weigh the negatives. I did give the business a break after the first 14 years decided to join the Ibew, took their journeyman exam which was a 5 year program based on one 4 hour test, that was more trade extensive I thought than the CSLB Exam.

Anyway not to share my whole life history but the Ibew was good for 10 years, met a lot of great electricians loved the team spirit but it was very political, when I left they had over 1000 of us sitting on the books for a year, decided it was best to depend on my own efforts, dusted off the ol' C10 license and have been at it again for over 10 years now. End note : you picked a great Trade, it will provide well for you, just always respect electricity, always be cautious and never lower your guard. , it is not forgiving and is always ready to complete the circuit.
thank you sir

Occupation
Student
This website has a blog post concerning it
Governor Murphy Signed New Law for Electrical License Requirements – NJ Education and Seminars, LLC.
When I took my test almost a decade ago, it was the old test. You had to have board approval to sit for any exam, otherwise you cannot register for the exams. I highly doubt they changed it.

You can take the electrical inspector exams on the computer center and then take the classroom time and submit to the state for that license. Don't get them confused.
Thank you for sharing your experience!

As for me, the resolution and the process itself went fine. I had more difficulties with writing work. It was pretty hard for me. Writing has never been my forte

Charles

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NC is known for it's difficult test however they are having a hard time getting young people to take the test. So what do they do???? They lowered the requirement for the limited license from 8000 hours (4 years) to 4000 hours (2 years) job related. They are also allowing you to bring in your own code book, they never allowed that before, and it can be highlighted. I guess they are desperate to help people get their license.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
NC is known for it's difficult test however they are having a hard time getting young people to take the test. So what do they do???? They lowered the requirement for the limited license from 8000 hours (4 years) to 4000 hours (2 years) job related. They are also allowing you to bring in your own code book, they never allowed that before, and it can be highlighted. I guess they are desperate to help people get their license.
All that does is lower the quality and knowledge of the younger electricians...

It all goes back to the “everyone gets a trophy” mentality..

If it’s too hard, lower the standards so everyone gets a trophy, there are no losers..

What ever happened to failing and striving to get better??

Therin lies the stupidity..

Status
Not open for further replies.