Taking the exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

spencercagen

Occupation
Electrician
I am 22 years old and would love to fulfill my Electrical contractor exam. I am in the state of New Jersey and would like to know how long does it take to be eligible for the test. Also , what are the best Mike Holt supplies to get to study. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you're in NJ unfortunately you will need to enter and complete a 4 year apprenticeship before you can become eligible to take the electrical contractor exam. You can thank our current Governor for this new apprenticeship requirement.

spencercagen

Occupation
Electrician
I thought it was 5 years. i have been working with a license electrical contractor for 2 years. Does that count as an apprentice. Also , i heard that we need to have 586 Class room hours
Our state sucks dude

spencercagen

Occupation
Electrician
here in Florida, 6 years and you can sit for the test at any time.
Since you're in NJ unfortunately you will need to enter and complete a 4 year apprenticeship before you can become eligible to take the electrical contractor exam. You can thank our current Governor for this new apprenticeship requirement.
I thought it was 5 years. i have been working with a license electrical contractor for 2 years. Does that count as an apprentice. Also , i heard that we need to have 586 Class room hours
Our state sucks dude

anthonysolino

you can sit for the exam when ever you pay for it but they won't grant you your license number until you meet the requirements of the state it will just sit in the department of business and regulations data base as a "pass" until you can furnish the proof of work history how ever it it only a valid score for 2-3 years I believe. I just sat for mine,

spencercagen

Occupation
Electrician
you can sit for the exam when ever you pay for it but they won't grant you your license number until you meet the requirements of the state it will just sit in the department of business and regulations data base as a "pass" until you can furnish the proof of work history how ever it it only a valid score for 2-3 years I believe. I just sat for mine,
thats pretty cool man. So, you’re saying you can pay for the test and take it. If you pass it before you’re eligible for the test, they’ll hold it until you meet all of the requirements.

anthonysolino

ours in florida is two portions first one is 100 questions 5 hours technical and safety second exam is 50 questions 2.5 hours on business and finance. which you can take when ever you can take em bolth the same day or what ever you want. I missed mine by fire alarm questions it depends on your state but NFPA72 is a great document its important, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE INDEX TABS 72 is (for me) a very hard document to read because the articles are arranged with numbers that seem to run together example 24.4.8.5.1 this is a horrible way to arrange a document like this the NEC is soooo much easier to understand and its organized very well. 101 is even easier to read and understand Than 72 is. mike has a great study guide and dvd line up I owe it to his stuff that I scored as High as I did on it the first time

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Our state sucks dude

Bottom line is unless they change the law you'll need to enroll in an approved apprenticeship program or you cannot get a contractor's license.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Call the Board of Electrical Contractors there be a grace period but I'm unsure if you would qualify. (973) 504-6410

oldsparky52

is that how it is up north?
I guess right to work states are different, theres no apprenticeship requirement at all
I think the laws are changing a bit to require classroom time as well as field experience to qualify for testing. It's a slow roll, but IMO it's a good direction. I came up in the "right to work" environment with no classroom requirements. It's amazing how many "electricians" there were around that did not understand E=IR or what the requirements were for using 1 neutral for two "hots".

There is an apprenticeship requirement forced by the legislature. There is a "soft" exchange between years worked in lieu of apprenticeship years but gives a harder requirement until the full 4 year apprenticeship is enforced.

The Board’s statute regarding the qualifications for examination for licensure (N.J.S.A. 45:5A-9) has been amended.

Beginning on December 17, 2018 all applicants for examination must demonstrate completion of a four year electrical apprenticeship program accredited and approved by the United States Department of Labor, followed by one year spent as a journeyman electrician. Between December 17, 2018 and December 17, 2022 the Board will accept each year of employment obtained in the electrical field prior to December 17,2018 in lieu of one year’s enrollment in an electrical apprenticeship program approved and accredited by the United States Department of Labor.

Please note, the term journeyman as applied to N.J.S.A. 45:5A-9 is not to be confused with “a registered qualified journeyman” as defined at N.J.A.C. 13:31-5.1.

*The Board is engaging in rulemaking to implement the law.*

This website has a blog post concerning it

When I took my test almost a decade ago, it was the old test. You had to have board approval to sit for any exam, otherwise you cannot register for the exams. I highly doubt they changed it.

You can take the electrical inspector exams on the computer center and then take the classroom time and submit to the state for that license. Don't get them confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.