T.V. power interruption when light switched

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkympk68

Occupation
electrician
Hi and thank you for any input. I have an issue with T.V.sound getting interrupted for a couple seconds when I switch lights. This is not consistent every time . The light switches are in adjacent and same room as T.V. and on the same circuit. Wiring is 1950s in emt and remodeled recroom has newer romex . The T.V. signal is wireless from Roku , and the same power interruption occurs while on Nintendo Wii games. The sound is surround speakers via newer A/V Onkyo receiver. Any ideas?- Mike

kwired

Electron manager
since it happens with both Roku and gaming system, chances are it is interference effecting the sound system somehow. Is the speakers wireless signal or hard wired?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Voltage drop related issue, affecting the speakers or their receiver? Does the problem happen only when the lights are turned on or also when they are turned off? what kind of light bulbs?

My guess is it's not the wiring, it's some device or other. My other guess is that it is the speakers that are cutting out, not the signal coming from the TV.

sparkympk68

Occupation
electrician
Thanks again for the answers guys. The intermittent problem is happening when lights are switched off and also on... the lights in the recroom are new LED cans (on 2 switches) and in the bedroom are new surface mounted LEDs . ... A new discovery is that no interference problem when on Radio only! So it’s internal with the T.V. Maybe the auto input switch- (arc ) on tv .Audio Return Channel.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The only thing that I can think of that could possibly do that is that the light from the lighting is causing the IR receiver in the TV to mute/unmute the sound. The IR remote control signal is coded to prevent that sort of thing but there could be a problem with the TV that allows this to happen.

What's the history here? Any new equipment like the TV or maybe an old TV, something changed with the lighting? How long has it been doing this? You actually witnessed this yourself and this is not something the customer told you?

-Hal

sparkympk68

Occupation
electrician
Thanks Hal - this is my fathers house / recroom that I recently remodeled . I extended the circuit from an emt 4x4 , then 14/2 to new receptacles and all new recess cans LEDs . Also new surface mount LED next door bedroom which can also cause the T.V. interruption even though the lights are not in “view “ of the receiver & T.V. It’s sounding like an issue with the smart TV that’s a few years old . The Onkyo receiver and speakers &speaker wires are new . Maybe something we have to live with until I upgrade T.V. I guess no one allowed to turn lights on or off while we are watching Netflix or especially while playing Nintendo Rockband Lol .

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Try throwing a blanket over the TV so it can't see the remote. That way you will know it can't see the lights either. Then turn the lights on and off and see if it still happens.

-Hal

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Try throwing a blanket over the TV so it can't see the remote. That way you will know it can't see the lights either. Then turn the lights on and off and see if it still happens.

-Hal
Make sure it's a -thick- blanket! My sister used to hide her HiFi under a table with a to-the-floor tablecloth. Remote worked just fine through the tablecloth.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

-Hal
We used to have to do that to see the TV if watching during the day. The picture was so dark/weak that you couldn't see it in the daylight without sitting under a blanket spread over you and the TV. Of course, that was just us kids.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
We used to have to do that to see the TV if watching during the day. The picture was so dark/weak that you couldn't see it in the daylight without sitting under a blanket spread over you and the TV. Of course, that was just us kids.

Time to install a filament voltage booster on the picture tube. Buys you a little time until you have to replace the CRT.

Ahh, those were the days when things were so simple.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.