Sylvania breaker replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEHome

New User
Occupation
Residential Building Contractor
Hello,

I have an old Sylvania panel SB20(20-40) that I am looking to add a new tandem breaker to in order to run a new dedicated outlet to a bathroom. I am attempting to do it the 100% correct way, but my research on the topic has lead me down a rabbit hole of questions that I have not been able to find an answer to anywhere.
So, my first question is: what does the breaker type printed on the from of the breaker indicate? For example the proposed replacement (attached below) is Type BRD, A and DNPL. Are these types just continuations of old manufacturers that went out of business but this still shows that they are compatible with the older panels?
That brings me to my next question. The panel says that it is approved for Type A, C, and HAGF. The breaker pictured says that it is type A. So, would this be approved for use in the Sylvania panel. It is my understanding that breakers are approved for use in panels by type and not necessarily manufacturers. But along that line Sylvania was bought by Cutler-Hammer and then cutler-hammer was bought by Eaton. So, Eaton breakers should be the approved replacement?

This brings up the third and final question. Due to the age of the equipment I’m assuming that it is Non-CTL. I know that newer panels have a rejection feature to not allow tandem breakers in non approved slots. But looking at the schematic of this panel it looks like tandem breakers are allowed in every slot. Is this correct, or am I entirely off base?

Thanks in advance
Proposed Breaker replacement

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The forum rules do not allow us to assist in DIY projects, you should contact a local EC for assistance.

This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.