switch wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilti

New User
Occupation
Welder/fab
Installed recessed lighting in kitchen recently. Pretty straight forward until I went to install a dimmer switch for the lights. The old switch outlet has a two gang plastic box with two single pole toggle switches that used to operate a ceiling fan with light and is supplied by 14/3 electrical wire. One switch had the black and white wires connected to it, the red wire went to other switch with a jumper wire (black) going from the first switch to the other, and the ground wasn't connected to anything. Up in the attic, the wire went into a junction box where the white wire was capped off, black wire connected to the rest of the black wires in junction box, the red wire was connected to a black wire from the fan, ground wire tied into the rest of the ground wires, white wire from fan is tied into other white wires in junction box. My question is, isn't the neutral wire(white) from the switch to the junction box supposed to be connected to prevent the switch bodies from being live to the touch (electrical shock)?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.