Switch Voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Is there any reason not to use a 120/277V rated switch at 24V? I guess I don't understand why they even make a 24V version. I can't believe it is any cheaper to make a 24V switch, and it seems like the 120V switch could do anything the 24V switch could.

The application I'm thinking of is a 3 position momentary contact switch for a lighting control system.

Steve

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Switch Voltages

Pass & Seymour makes a 3 Amp 24 Volt AC/DC switch. Hubble makes a similar switch at 120/277V AC and 15 amps. My application would have minimal current flowing through the switches (maybe a relay coil current or even less).

Another question I was thinking about is can the 120/277VAC be used with a DC voltage? I don't see any reason why not, but the manufacturers seem to be very specific when giving switch specifications.

Steve

templdl

Re: Switch Voltages

Keep in mind that with and AC voltage the voltage goes through zero volts 120 times a second and, as such, it essentially breaks the arc when switching to the OFF position while DC never does through zero volts.
Up front one would not be an issue but, never the less, the switch should be rated for the voltage and current that it can be applied with.
However, I personally would think that a switch which was rated 120/277vac would work on 24vdc with no problems. If the switch is not labeled for it check with the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.