Switch Question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

So I know we spoke about the switching scenario but I have one final question. If you have three rooms side by with all lights on same circuit and each room individually switched wouldn’t it just be easier to bring power to the light and run a 12/3 from the switch up to light? If you bring power to then switch then you are essentially running 2 cables from each switch( one up to light and one jumping from each switch to provide the power) instead of one 12/3. Yes, no?

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
After doing service work and troubleshooting for over 44 years now, my personal preference is to run power to the switch box and only switchlegs to the lights. It makes most of the important splices and connections accessible without a ladder, less need to remove a luminaire to do troubleshooting, and less chance of heat from a luminaire cooking wiring and splices in the light fixture/j-box. It can mean more expense to wire initially but we rarely try to look for the cheapest way vs. what we believe to be the best way. There is no wrong answer to this one though; it's just personal preference.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
No wrong answer, but if I’m running conduit it’s easier to just drop a switch leg from the junction box. If cabling, I’d like to hit the switch. Also if hard ceilings either method I’d like to see it go to the switch first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldsparky52

No wrong answer, but if I’m running conduit it’s easier to just drop a switch leg from the junction box. If cabling, I’d like to hit the switch. Also if hard ceilings either method I’d like to see it go to the switch first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say you do it Burger King style, have it your way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.