Swimming Pool Submerged Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenMac

Occupation
Electrician
I recently had an in-ground pool installed. The pool builder was a local contractor and he did a good job with the pool, but the electrical installation was not up to code standards, so I had to totally rewire the electrical installation (I have been a Licensed Master Electrician since 2016). Since I live out in the country, we do not have building codes or Inspectors to enforce them. In question is the submersible light that was installed in the pool has type SJTW electrical cable on it coming back to the transformer panel in gray pvc conduit which stays full of water till it turns up the wall to the transformer. According to NEC 680.56(B), Table 400.4 this cable is not legal for being submerged in water. I asked the pool builder about this and he questioned his Pool Equipment Distributor, which commented that this cable is what all the other pool builders are using and that it has worked for years. So, no one is willing to replace the cable with the correct cable. Is my interpretation of this article and table correct?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Inside a conduit should be considered wet location so the cord is legit IMO. Now, was the conduit sealed with a potting compound?

KenMac

Occupation
Electrician
As a side question, does this conduit from the pool terminate in a pool light J -Box as required?
Yes, the problem that bothers me is per the 2014 NEC 680.56(B) states that the flexible cord immersed in water shall be a type for extra hard usage. But per table 400.4 the existing cable (type SJTW) is designated for hard usage.

KenMac

Occupation
Electrician
The conduit from the light is not sealed at the light so the water in the conduit rises and lowers with the pool water level. So the cable is always submerged.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Pool lights are listed for this use and the cord must be permanently attached at manufacture. So I don't see how the cord type is a call you can make in the field. It's not as if you could change the cord.

KenMac

Occupation
Electrician
If the manufacture is using a cable that was legal per the 2012 code, but not legal per the 2014 / 2020 code we are to just accept that and move on?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If the light is a listed pool light it should be acceptable. I've put in dozens of pool lights and they all come with the cord attached & sealed by the mfg. If the cord they are using is incorrect, they are either not a listed product or a mistake was made. I don't think any mfg would go to the expense of having their light listed then violate the listing by using the incorrect cord. These could be "knock-off" lights disguised as the real ones.

Did you actually see the cord type printed on the cable?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The cable is built into the light. Your electrician likely didn’t even pull the light in.

The conduit is supposed to be full of water.

Its likely a listed assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.