Swimming pool motor, direct wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

I know I should know this, but it's been a while since I've done a pool. If the pool motor is "direct wired" and not cord and plug, does it have to have GFCI protection according to the 2017 and 2020 code? If I read some of the post right, it changed in 2017 from 2014. I'm reading right, "cord and plug" has to have GFCI protection but not seeing a direct wired motor requiring GFCI protection. Am I missing something? Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
'17 680.21(C) GFCI Protection. Outlets supplying pool pump motors connected to single-phase, 120-volt through 240-volt branch circuits, whether by receptacle or by direct connection, shall be provided with ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

can't advise on 2020

sparkync

Thanks for the reply. Can't believe I missed that. Looking right at it, I missed "or by direct connection". Must be old age. Sorry:(
In the 2020 code, I only see "outlets" defined as needing GFCI protection unless I'm missing it again:( I have been around for quiet a while and some parts seem to be "wearing out":)

Last edited:

retirede

Thanks for the reply. Can't believe I missed that. Looking right at it, I missed "or by direct connection". Must be old age. Sorry:(
In the 2020 code, I only see "outlets" defined as needing GFCI protection unless I'm missing it again:( I have been around for quiet a while and some parts seem to be "wearing out":)

Look at the NEC definition of “outlet.”

Hint: It does not mean “receptacle.”

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Receptacle is one form of outlet. Hard wired would be another. As retirede said check out the Article 100 definition of outlet.

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.