Surveillance and security systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest you to have a look at some review sites before settling for a particular brand. Also try to collect max first hand experiences so that you can rely completely on their services. Meanwhile are you first timer in the hunt of surveillance cameras. Tarry, take your own time, do your research well and buy the right one which suites your requirements. Also check this article on importants tips while setting up your security ssytems http://cspalarms.ca/blog/home-security/4-steps-when-setting-up-a-security-system-in-your-new-home/

Does anybody have any experiences with any surveillance systems? Looking into the Flir brand but haven't really heard anything about them, they just offer what I need. Also looking into a wireless security system. The best I could find was simplisafe but not real sure on the quality of there product. What are some other brands you guys have installed and liked?

Try looking into alarm.com, they offer the best integrated wireless burg system as well as integrating cameras even wireless cameras will need to be powered up, system will text, email you as well as sending you a snapshot or video as well as live video, look at their sight and see if a dealer is in your area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Try looking into alarm.com, they offer the best integrated wireless burg system as well as integrating cameras even wireless cameras will need to be powered up, system will text, email you as well as sending you a snapshot or video as well as live video, look at their sight and see if a dealer is in your area

I realize this is an old thread you’ve replied to, but just wanted to say my only gripe with something like alarm.com is the monthly maintenance fee.

You can buy the Legrand Intuity interface and have the same features for zero monthly fees.

sw_ross

You can buy the Legrand Intuity interface and have the same features for zero monthly fees.

Brant, or others, I have a customer that wants a camera surveillance system installed and I'm doing some homework, trying to get up to speed on current technologies (limited experience with this type of stuff).

This is a retail space. They're interested in some inside and some outside cameras. Maybe 8-10 total.

The idea of using cat 5 and making up my ends after fishing to cable is appealing to me (I'm used to that).

Researching online keeps bringing up a company called BACKSTREET SURVEILLANCE. they sell kits where you're able to select the components necessary. You do the install yourself.

Sounds decent. Anyone have experience with this company? Any other similar recommendations?

Thanks!

SummerOf89

I've only had experience with the arlo pro for the wireless cameras. Its surveillance quality is actually good, if you really want to keep a closer watch on your properties or something. You get to speak through the camera itself. I just find it a bit costly. The cameras are expensive + the monthly subscription fee, though the subscription is optional but we then needed further storage.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
i thought flir was a function not a brand.. at any rate,

we got the lorex flir system after consulting with a very good data buddy of mine. his advice and statements were,
- all the tech is the same in all the cameras
-his customers start with a cheaper 4 channel dvr and end up wanting more, thus buying a 6/8 or 12 channel. just get a higher capacity dvr (digital video recorder). I noticed you can only get high quality res with the bigger dvr's as well, for example a 4 channel may not have 4k play back.

now what my advice is (for the lorex system anyway...
- the ptz (remote via cell or at the dvr PAN TILT ZOOM) is kinda slow when adjusting view via the cell phone. the flir app is not the greatest, but does work. and having remote pan adjustability may change the number of cameras you need for good coverage, but it would be nice if you could program the ptz's to change pan, say, evry 45 minutes for 10 minutes or so. the pan tilt zoom function does work awesome AT the dvr though...also ony 3 or 4 people can access the remote flir app.
- the lorex regular cameras do zoom which works well, however both the ptz's and the cheaper dome ones don't work as well as they say they should at night. they definitely rely on a light source (like a street light). also sunrise and sunset change resolution, but not too bad.
-come to find out the dvr only keeps recordings for 9 days...
-our system uses the poe system for cam power (cat5 cable or better). and you would think as a electrician, if you are terminating the jacks on both ends your self, another words terminating the wires wherever you want, but consistently, you are wrong! I forget which pair it is but you need to pay attention to the instructions on the port jack box- it is not a,b,c,d ect! (I never knew). it might of been the brown pair that is a- and-d for instance.
- anyway, the boss is happy enough with the lorex resolution, adjustability and playback. one cool thing is during playback mode it has yellow lines when motion is detected so you do not have to fast forward through 2 days of footage to find a particulare event. the app also notifies your cell phone when movement is detected. customer service is awful... but that is more a horrible accent issue than actual tech help...

Status
Not open for further replies.