Surge Suppression for circuits entering a building

Status
Not open for further replies.

trosefl

It is my understanding that when a low voltage circuit enters a building - in my specific case a CCTV cable - that circuit must have a surge suppression device installed within 25 feet of the point of penetration. I am looking for the specific code that deals with this.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Surge Suppression for circuits entering a building

I don't beleive that is the case. It does have to be connected to your grounding system very close to its entrance point.

hurk27

There is no Codes that require TVSS system's to be installed. But if you do install one you have to follow artical 285 in the "2002" NEC

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

The code does not address CCTV directly. Art 800 or 820 will apply depending on wheather you use UTP or coax respectively. UTP is becoming increasingly popular and is replacing coax in many video applications.

820.33 requires that the shield of the coax be grounded (ground block) as close to the point of entry as possible. The grounding conductor cannot be longer than 20 feet.

800.30 requires that a listed primary protector be used for UTP. This is a surge supressor. Again it must be located as close to the point of entry as possible and the grounding conductor can be no longer than 20 feet.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.