Surge protection

Willie B

2023 NEC now requires surge protection on many services. The specifics are not provided in 230. I find more often we are installing big residential services. Might have many new loads we wouldn't see 20 years ago. Commonly, we install a meter backboard where meter socket & disconnects are mounted. more than one feeder then supplies the house. It'd be convenient to place surge protection at the meter. This means it would not be connected through a circuit breaker. Would this be code compliant?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Start with article 100 definitions
Then Article 280 or 285, on SPDS. I seem to recall the 2023 NEC renumbered the SPD article
Other sections that that apply are general in nature, like 110.14, that are just part of knowing the code

shortcircuit2

2023 NEC now requires surge protection on many services. The specifics are not provided in 230. I find more often we are installing big residential services. Might have many new loads we wouldn't see 20 years ago. Commonly, we install a meter backboard where meter socket & disconnects are mounted. more than one feeder then supplies the house. It'd be convenient to place surge protection at the meter. This means it would not be connected through a circuit breaker. Would this be code compliant?
2023 Code requires SPD's at the residential service per 230.67 and at residential feeder fed equipment per 215.18 and 225.42