Surge arrestors

Status
Not open for further replies.

laramie

Hello all;

Doing some research for upcoming very large residential projects (10-30K sq. ft) What do fellow colleagues recommend for surge/lightning supressors? I've done research on Square D's whole-house supressors, Cutler hammer's CHSP and Intermatic.. and so far square d seems to have best protection and best warranty.. any thoughts?

rick hart

Re: Surge arrestors

Whole house is a good start. Make sure the TVSS is suitable for use at the service entrance and is not designed for installation further downstream towards the load. One consideration is the number of hits the TVSS is likely to absorb; Florida will have many more strikes than Wisconsin. Downstream suppression is advised to further limit voltage transients if there is a lot of lightning activity. These things are by design sacrificial and having a less robust unit close to the service entrance will shorten its life. Generally, I like looking for a clamping voltage close as possible to the nominal voltage closer to the load paired with a higher clamping rating unit at the service entrance. I am not familiar with the Square D but I am familiar with their reputation for manufacturing solid equipment.
Remember that any TVSS can last forever if the unit is oversized and passes through higher voltage.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

does anyone have any independent data whatsoever to support the idea that these things actually do any good?

i am a bit skeptical.

rick hart

I don't know how independent the data needs to be; manufacture claims and specification about what a device can do is typically all we have to go on anyway. having said that, all TVSS is not alike in how they accomplish their mission. They do work for what they are intended to do- SUPPRESS transient( very short duration) voltages spikes. They have no effect on sags, swells, over and overvoltages or harmonics in the least. TVSS only limit the voltage above a certain level and if that level is set above the damage point of the equipment being protected, they are a waste of time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.