Supporting documentation for 2011 NEC change

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsparky52

Can someone help me locate (if it is available to a non NFPA member, me) the supporting documentation for an added sentence in 555.13(B)(4)(b)? I've tried to navigate the NEC but apparently I'm too ignorant to find it if it is available.

If I should have posted this somewhere else, please excuse me.

Dennis, if you read this, it was 2011, not 2008.

Thanks to anyone that might be able to help.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Go to www.nfpa.org/70.

Click on "current and prior editions", then use the drop down menu to select the edition.

After selecting the edition, select "read archived edition information".

At this point you can download or view the Report on Proposals, Report on Proposals, Draft, or the Report on Comments. When you look at the Draft, there will be a proposal number for each change that makes it easy to find the proposal that resulted in that change. The ROP or the Draft is not the final code, often changes are made from the comments.

You may have to register with NFPA using your e-mail and setting up a password...there is no fee looking at these documents.

Below is the proposal for the change you are asking about. I did not check for any comments on that change.

19-267 Log #4776 NEC-P19 Final Action: Accept in Principle
(555.13(B)(4)(b))
Recommendation: Add: Exception No. 1 Where listed portable power cables are installed in accordance to the requirements as permitted by 551.13(4)(a) and terminate in a listed marina pedestal/power center employing terminal blocks/bars, the installation of a junction shall not be required.

Substantiation: New listed and advanced marina power pedestals and power centers are available and in today’s applications, boats are the size of mobile homes requiring, in some cases, two 100 Amp feeders. By installing an additional junction box, when the flexible cables can in many cases run continuous from the supply to the power pedestal just provides an additional point for corrosion and burnt up connections. The power pedestals already have the terminal blocks.
Note: Supporting material is available for review at NFPA Headquarters.

Panel Meeting Action: Accept in Principle
Revise text to read as follows:
(b) Where portable power cables are used as permitted in 555.13(A)(2)(2), there shall be an approved junction box of corrosion-resistant construction with
permanently installed terminal blocks on each pier section to which the feeder and feeder extensions are to be connected. A listed marine power outlet
employing terminal blocks/bars shall be permitted in lieu of a junction box. Metal junction boxes and their covers, and metal screws and parts that are
exposed externally to the boxes, shall be of corrosion-resistant materials or protected by material resistant to corrosion.

Panel Statement: The panel action reformats the proposal to eliminate the addition of a new exception. The panel action meets the intent of the submitter.
Number Eligible to Vote: 9
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 9

oldsparky52

Thank you Don!

This is in the information you provided, "Note: Supporting material is available for review at NFPA Headquarters."

Any idea on how to look at the "supporting material"?

Thanks.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thank you Don!

This is in the information you provided, "Note: Supporting material is available for review at NFPA Headquarters."

Any idea on how to look at the "supporting material"?

Thanks.

Go in person to NFPA headquarters? :)
It sounds like they have no intention of putting it online, and probably will not copy it and mail it to you.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Sorry, I did not read the original question close enough. As far as I know, if it is not in the ROP, you have to go to their office to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.