Support cut in box in ceiling tile

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdc853

A recess can emergency battery backup has a whip with a cut in box installed from the factory. Inside the cut in box is a light and test button for the battery backup. My question is can the cut in box be install in a drop ceiling tile using the madison supports that came with the lighting kit, or do I need to install a bar hanger and attach the box to this.

Thanks

cdc853 [/LIST]

gregory

Re: Support cut in box in ceiling tile

(D) Suspended Ceilings. An enclosure mounted to structural or supporting elements of a suspended ceiling shall be not more than 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in size and shall be securely fastened in place in accordance with either (D)(1) or (D)(2).
(1) Framing Members. An enclosure shall be fastened to the framing members by mechanical means such as bolts, screws, or rivets, or by the use of clips or other securing means identified for use with the type of ceiling framing member(s) and enclosure(s) employed. The framing members shall be adequately supported and securely fastened to each other and to the building structure.
(2) Support Wires. The installation shall comply with the provisions of 300.11(A). The enclosure shall be secured, using methods identified for the purpose, to ceiling support wire(s), including any additional support wire(s) installed for that purpose. Support wire(s) used for enclosure support shall be fastened at each end so as to be taut within the ceiling cavity.

In my opinion the madison hangers would not be sufficient support for the suspended ceiling tile. They would be Ok for a drywall or wood ceiling, but acoustical tile has no strength to hold a box. D1 says that you have to fasten the enclosure to the framing members, you can't do that by attaching it to the fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.