Submersible Wirenuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

I am replacing 5 - incandescent in-ground lights encased in a concrete slab with low voltage landscape well lights. The incandescent lights are being fed with THWN inside 3/4" PVC. I plan to put 12-vac on the THWN and splice it into the cable that comes out of each low voltage well light. The existing lights are filling up with water. Apparently they are not draining properly. Would someone please recommend the best splicing method for this application? Essentially it will be THWN spliced into the cable coming out of the low voltage well light all of which will be submerged in water.

Thanks for the advice.

Ravenvalor

I recently saw a low voltage landscape lighting company solder all of their splices by dipping them into a solder pot. Researching that technique I believe they insert the splice into wirenut and then a gel type connector (DBRY) once the solder on the splice has cooled.

I was surprised to see the soldering of splices given that the electrical industry has been trying to move away from soldering for a few decades now.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I recently saw a low voltage landscape lighting company solder all of their splices by dipping them into a solder pot. Researching that technique I believe they insert the splice into wirenut and then a gel type connector (DBRY) once the solder on the splice has cooled.

I was surprised to see the soldering of splices given that the electrical industry has been trying to move away from soldering for a few decades now.
Soldering is one way to exclude moisture and oxygen from the joint. A gel connector on top of that strikes me as belt-and-suspenders thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.