Sub Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our Co. supvr. called me today and asked if he could put a sub panel in the crawl space for an air handler. (heat pump) I told him no,but For thelife of me I can't find it in the 2002 code. I just seem to remember hearing it in a code seminar some time ago.Can anyone help me out,I like to be able to back up my ans. if possible.Thanks in advance,this is a great site,with a lot of great electricians.I am an elect. by the way,since 1957

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: Sub Panel

You would have to meet clearance and height requirements to put a panel anywhere.Or did I miss something.

iwire

Staff member

110.26(F) requires 6 1/2' of head room but then there is an exception.

Exception: In existing dwelling units, service equipment or panelboards that do not exceed 200 amperes shall be permitted in spaces where the headroom is less than 2.0 m (6 1/2 ft).
A crawl space sound like a rotten place for a panel :( , at the very least run it by the inspector first.

benaround

I read it like this- Service equip. and panelboards,in existing dwelling units---etc. What is a non-existing dwelling unit anyway?

Luke,I haven't been to any of Bob's classes lately,we have been having classes at our office,Robert Smith conducts the class.He works for First State inspections.

Iwire,some years ago we would put a 4 or 6 circuit panel in the crawl space near the air handler.Some H/P systems have like a 30 and a 60
circuit to feed the handler and the back up heat.(I'm sure you know this)anyway we can put 2 disc. under there but not a sub panel,never made much sense to me,either one can hurt a person if your not careful.

luke warmwater

pappy, Rob is the Chief Electrical Inspector or 1st St. Insp. Agcy.
I went to a class given by him a few Saturdays ago in Camden Wyoming.
Did you ask his opinion on the placement??

pierre

What is an 'existing non-dwelling unit'?

New House
Retail store
Church
School
Office building
Etc...

In some areas one has to follow the building code and be aware of the 'flood plain'. In the affected flood plain areas, sometimes the panel cannot even be installed in a basement.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.