Sub Panel Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoc64

This is an off the cuff question, as I don't have my code book with me. If I have a 125 amp bus sub panel fed from a 100A breaker in a 200A main panel, can I feed up to 50A into the sub panel, or am I still limited to 40A based on the main panel ratings (200A breaker / 200A bus). 2014 Code applies.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't understand your question. You can feed as many sub panels as you want at any amperage as long as the calculated load is not more than any of the panels , feeders or mains.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
This is an off the cuff question, as I don't have my code book with me. If I have a 125 amp bus sub panel fed from a 100A breaker in a 200A main panel, can I feed up to 50A into the sub panel, or am I still limited to 40A based on the main panel ratings (200A breaker / 200A bus). 2014 Code applies.

The short answer is that you are still limited to 40A breaker, unless you can meet the new 705.12(D)(3)(c)

Last edited:

Zee

No. You cannot exceed 40 A PV.
(of course, the usual option of downsizing the 200A main breaker to 175A would allow an extra 25A PV to play with====>65A PV total - instead of 40A.)

Status
Not open for further replies.