Strobe FA appliances in multi person offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Barring state amendments, based on the 2015/2018 IBC's how many work stations must a office have before it is considered a "Common area" and therefore in need of a strobe.

As I say, I know this may well vary from state to state. I happen to be in MA and in this case, in the city of Boston which often makes up its own rules. But generally and based on the letter of the typically applicable codes. IBC and NFPA 1, possibly NFPA 101, what is the rule? What does the installation code, NFPA 72l have to say on the matter?

Thanks

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Barring state amendments, based on the 2015/2018 IBC's how many work stations must a office have before it is considered a "Common area" and therefore in need of a strobe.

As I say, I know this may well vary from state to state. I happen to be in MA and in this case, in the city of Boston which often makes up its own rules. But generally and based on the letter of the typically applicable codes. IBC and NFPA 1, possibly NFPA 101, what is the rule? What does the installation code, NFPA 72l have to say on the matter?

Thanks
NFPA 72 is mostly silent on where you put them specifically, except regarding sleeping areas. The thing that can get you in trouble is the audibility requirements. So, you have a bullpen with 10 engineers and a receptionist, that's easy. So is the conference room; you're likely to have clients and so on in there. So, the discipline lead's office doesn't need one, right? Only herself and occasionally one or two others in her office. But if she closes the door to her office I guarantee you that you won't meet the required db levels for the horn even if they mount it on the wall just outside the door and she certainly won't see the strobe. Now you have to put a device in the office.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
NFPA 72 is mostly silent on where you put them specifically, except regarding sleeping areas. The thing that can get you in trouble is the audibility requirements. So, you have a bullpen with 10 engineers and a receptionist, that's easy. So is the conference room; you're likely to have clients and so on in there. So, the discipline lead's office doesn't need one, right? Only herself and occasionally one or two others in her office. But if she closes the door to her office I guarantee you that you won't meet the required db levels for the horn even if they mount it on the wall just outside the door and she certainly won't see the strobe. Now you have to put a device in the office.
Well, offices these days don't have solid doors that hide what's going on in the office. Most have a window, either in the door, or as a separate panel beside the door. So the strobe has a better chance of being seen.

gadfly56

Occupation
Well, offices these days don't have solid doors that hide what's going on in the office. Most have a window, either in the door, or as a separate panel beside the door. So the strobe has a better chance of being seen.
Circumstances vary, I'll grant you that. However, the audible portion is still an issue. Again, depending on construction.

RyanEE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Most jurisdictions include an exemption for visual notification at individually occupied offices. The idea is that the owner is to accommodate visual notification at a hearing impaired individual's private office if necessary. Any otherwise occupied space requires visual notification. So, to answer your question, 2. Sorry, I don't have the code reference handy but I believe its in NFPA 72.

mshields

Thank you all!
Circumstances vary, I'll grant you that. However, the audible portion is still an issue. Again, depending on construction.
I agree that it renders it a gray area. Still, putting them in every office, given that a private office, is not a common area, the thing the code goes to the trouble to define as needing them, is a good way to piss off your client.

mshields

NEW QUESTION - When do you go from a visual only appliance as we all agree you should have in a 2 person office, to a horn or speaker strobe. Would you do that for 3 person office. Obviously you do it for an open office. But what constitutes that? Where is the break between semi-private office and open office?

gadfly56

Occupation
NEW QUESTION - When do you go from a visual only appliance as we all agree you should have in a 2 person office, to a horn or speaker strobe. Would you do that for 3 person office. Obviously you do it for an open office. But what constitutes that? Where is the break between semi-private office and open office?
A speaker strobe is a slightly different animal, code-wise, from a horn strobe. This revolves around "acoustically distinguishable areas" and the concept of intelligibility. It's easier to make noise and get someone's attention than convey actual information, as my daily train commute keeps reminding me.

Status
Not open for further replies.