Stripped Romex and no strap, what say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerMan2020

Occupation
electrician
In this run, 6-3 romex is used all the way from the panel to this outlet in the garage.
As you can see it comes directly into an LB where I stripped the romex and secured the LB to the band board. I pushed the wire into 17" of EMT (considered a nipple) and into the receptacle box, which obviously is also secured.

So the two main issues I could see are:
1.) not having an emt strap, which I chose not to put because both the box and LB are securely fastened and the pipe itself if less than 18", which should fall under the nipple rule (if that rule is still in place.)
2.) Stripping the romex, which I figure should not be an issue due to the very short amount of area.

Does anyone see issues with this?

Attachments

• nema.png
    nema.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 75

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
1. That makes sense, but I do not think there is any NEC language to support it.
2. Since the internal conductors in the NM are generally not marked as an NEC wire type, most members feel that code does not allow this, regardless of the length outside the termination panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A 17" raceway requires a strap. Stripped NM cable in EMT is not an issue to me but as Goldie stated some object to the conductors without any marking being in the raceway. If you leave the jacket on and provide a bushing on the end of the raceway then there is not issue. You would still need to comply with the 60% fill rule for the cable and the LB conduit body.

superdave02

Occupation
Electrical Consultant
My two cents. Yes needs a strap and a staple. I would not strip off the sheathing. You can calculate the fill if you really wanted to by measuring the NMC to calculate the square inches.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
In this run, 6-3 romex is used all the way from the panel to this outlet in the garage.
As you can see it comes directly into an LB where I stripped the romex and secured the LB to the band board. I pushed the wire into 17" of EMT (considered a nipple) and into the receptacle box, which obviously is also secured.

So the two main issues I could see are:
1.) not having an emt strap, which I chose not to put because both the box and LB are securely fastened and the pipe itself if less than 18", which should fall under the nipple rule (if that rule is still in place.)
2.) Stripping the romex, which I figure should not be an issue due to the very short amount of area.

Does anyone see issues with this?
314.17(B)?
Where nonmetallic-sheathed cable or multiconductor Type UF cable is used, the sheath shall extend not less than 6 mm (1∕4 in.) inside the box and beyond any cable clamp.

PowerMan2020

Occupation
electrician
This has passed a strict county inspection by the strictest of code hungry inspectors. I was correct and glad I pushed the limits a bit.

A 17" raceway requires a strap.
This is NOT a raceway, sorry buddy. This is a nipple per se!
A raceway is considered a run of conduit in lengths of more than 2 feet between the power supply and load served. A nipple is a conduit 2 feet or less in length and used to connect enclosures, boxes, etc., together.

My two cents. Yes needs a strap and a staple...

I can see how you may think it would require a strap, but why on earth would it require a staple? :ROFLMAO:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This has passed a strict county inspection by the strictest of code hungry inspectors. I was correct and glad I pushed the limits a bit.

A raceway is considered a run of conduit in lengths of more than 2 feet between the power supply and load served. A nipple is a conduit 2 feet or less in length and used to connect enclosures, boxes, etc., together.

I can see how you may think it would require a strap, but why on earth would it require a staple? :ROFLMAO:
Nope you're incorrect, the 17" of raceway is between the box and a conduit body therefore it requires a strap.

PowerMan2020

Occupation
electrician
A staple on the NM within 12“ of entering the “nipple”?
Ah, yes surely, it was already implied. (Stapled on the other side of the picture before it enters the LB from the house joists, indeed stapled or otherwise secured before entering the NM-B 3/4". fitting of the LB).
Subject matter was only about picture shown.

Last edited:

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I have run romex or ser into emt and stripped it. On the end of the emt i use an emt box connector, a rigid coupling and a cable connector for the ser or romex

I don't see how this could be an issue and I Staple or strap the cable near the emt

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
There is nothing in the code that exempts conduits less than two feet from strapping requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.