Strip lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrj567`

Master Electrician
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm new to led strip lights. What brand would y'all recommend for cabinet strips? I'm looking for something high quality that is relatively easy to install.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Let me know when you choose a certain style. I usually use their high-brightness adhesive ribbon.

The LTR series of their ribbons. It looks like they have changed the style names and numbers a bit.

mrj567`

Master Electrician
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Let me know when you choose a certain style. I usually used their high-brightness adhesive ribbon.

It looks like they have changed the style names and numbers a bit.
Will do, I appreciate that! Do you have a rep in your area or do they ship it to you?

I just saw they have tape for outside, I never would've thought led tape would be rated for wet locations. It just seems like a product that wouldn't fair well outdoors. Have you ever done installs outside with their tape? I'm guessing something like pergola lighting where it's well hidden and somewhat shielded from rain etc.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Will do, I appreciate that! Do you have a rep in your area or do they ship it to you?
I usually do my supply-house shopping at Capital Lighting and Supply. They stock some ribbon and parts.. I order extra jumpers, power supplies, compatible dimmers, etc, in advance, to make sure I have everything.

I remember that buying jumpers with ribbon connectors on both ends, and cutting them into two connector leads, was much less expensive than buying single connector leads.

I just saw they have tape for outside, I never would've thought led tape would be rated for wet locations. It just seems like a product that wouldn't fair well outdoors. Have you ever done installs outside with their tape? I'm guessing something like pergola lighting where it's well hidden and somewhat shielded from rain etc.
I haven't installed it outdoors myself, but I have seen it, fully exposed to sun and rain, and lasts for years. Waterproof is waterproof. You could probably use it submerged.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I'm new to led strip lights. What brand would y'all recommend for cabinet strips? I'm looking for something high quality that is relatively easy to install.
It depends on what your application is.
Prep area needing high intensity light?
Warm backlighting for ambience?

It's not "one size fits all"

What Larry suggested is 24 volts, and I would suggest that, too. I used 12 volt stuff for years, but have gone exclusively 24v

One reason is voltage drop. Much less likely to experience differences in brightness from a long strip to short strip.

Another consideration is countertop material.
The single most common complaint people have is that they can see individual dots on granite countertops.

The remedy is COB strip and/or channel with diffuser.

Lots of options keep asking questions and exploring some options

mrj567`

Master Electrician
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I usually do my supply-house shopping at Capital Lighting and Supply. They stock some ribbon and parts.. I order extra jumpers, power supplies, compatible dimmers, etc, in advance, to make sure I have everything.

I remember that buying jumpers with ribbon connectors on both ends, and cutting them into two connector leads, was much less expensive than buying single connector leads.

I haven't installed it outdoors myself, but I have seen it, fully exposed to sun and rain, and lasts for years. Waterproof is waterproof. You could probably use it submerged.
Now that I know it's rated for wet locations I'm sure I'll start seeing it everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.