stray voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeb

Hi,I came across a problem today a 120/240 200A service,which has 14 volts AC from the ground,ie my meter lead stuck in the ground to the ground rod.I turned off the main breaker and still had this voltage.I went to an other service panel off the transformer on the pole via triplex(the first service runs under ground in pvc pipe to a dirt vault then off to 3 other meter bases in pvc) , back to the triplex this service also had 14 volts to the ground(meter base can), So I went to the ground running up the pole to the transformer it also had 14V to the ground.up this pole is a 3 old 3 phase set up, now only using 1 of the trnsformers but a lot of the old 3 phase system is still up including transformers.
Any Ideas ? Anything I should check before calling power company
Thanks for your time Mike

Ed MacLaren

Re: stray voltage

Anything I should check before calling power company
Perhaps you should try a different voltmeter. Some digital meters will indicate a few volts no matter where you put the leads. Mine does, so I use an analog voltmeter for low voltage measurements.

Ed

mikeb

Re: stray voltage

To all that care,I found the problem.The old 3 phase set up went to a generator via a transfer switch then returns up the pole to a weather head then sent around the plant,This system does not work but someone had taken two of the conductors and made it a 120/240 volt system this would have been fine if they had taken the third conductor and made it a neutral(it was already pulled and everthing?) so the unbalance of the 120V ciccuits had to use the grounding system as a return path.This system had been like this for at least a year(no one knows how long) and the four inch pipe with the 2 hots was to hot(temp) to touch after I shut off power

Status
Not open for further replies.