Stray Voltage-Hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

jburgess

I recently purchased a brand new hot tub. I installed the electrical with a 10 ft cord tied directly to the house panel with an 8-4 SJ cord. In the tub's control box, I terminated the hots, neutral and equipment ground. I also ran a #6 stranded bonding conductor to all of the metal lugs, motors, etc. and ran that back to an 8 ft ground rod right next to the tub, 10ft from my service ground rod. The other night I went to check the chemicals, I felt a tingle. I immediately retrieved all my testing equipment and found 1 volt between the water and my brick wall. I turned the GFCI breaker off and it was still there.I originally did not have a seperate ground rod on the tub, I had the bonding conductor run back to the grounding bus in the panel, thinking I would be bringing the water, etc. to a 0 potential. The seperate ground rod did not make it dissapate. Any suggestions?

pierre

Re: Stray Voltage-Hot tub

From your explanation, you have many electrical violations that you have created. I suggest that you are not qualified enough for this installation and you should hire a qualified electrical contractor to install the wiring to your hot tub correctly.
You are a building wiring engineer, exactly what do you do?

kbsparky

Do you still show that voltage with your main breaker switched off?

I'd be willing to bet that you are probably picking up stray voltage from your yard ... :eek:

[ November 27, 2005, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: kbsparky ]

dillon3c

Originally posted by jes25:
Cord is not a 680 method. DIY
*Why isn't it?

Part IV. Spas and Hot Tubs
680.42 Outdoor Installations
680.42(A)(2)Cord and Plug Connections.

catchtwentytwo

:eek:
I agree with Pierre's original comment:
From your explanation, you have many electrical violations that you have created. I suggest that you are not qualified enough for this installation and you should hire a qualified electrical contractor to install the wiring to your hot tub correctly.
This type of problem is similar to this post Stray Voltage. This isn't something that should be causally investigated or resolved by experimentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.