stray transients

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate all the input available here!
I have been told by an electrical inspector in a growing community south west of Chicago that to avoid stray transients from abundant overhead lines that I must run emt and boxes inside the UL listed electric chase and vertical"H" of an aluminum three seasons sun room. Am I missing something here?
Thanks for the time! :roll:

Re: stray transients

I am not working in Cook County, but in Will County. Even if local codes require conduit inside of UL listed electrical chases, which has only been verbally presented, not in writing, I do not understand how conduit inside of an aluminum chase will prevent stray voltage from overhead lines! If this is a real possibility, I will gladly install the emt!

karl riley

I would request the inspector to explain exactly what a stray transient is. In as technically detailed a way as he is willing.

Karl

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

It could just be the local code. A lot of Will County is "pipe only" just like Chicago.
Don

True, this is a pipe only community! The Underwriters Laboratories have "listed" certain items, and only those items, as OK for metal raceways, such as emt and certain flex items and rigid and certain metal boxes and certain metal chases. The horizontal chase and vertical "H" used in these rooms are acceptable for wiring by the UL. The above "codes requirement" constitutes installing emt INSIDE of UL listed chase, and is supposedly to prevent the rooms being subject to transient voltage. I don't get it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

It doesn't matter if it is a UL listed raceway if the local code requires EMT. The UL listed raceway is not EMT and where the code requires EMT the use of the listed raceway would be a violation.
Don

tonyi

Both the pipe and channel would effectively be Faraday cages. I don't see where adding the channel would make any sort of significant difference. Even a wire grid can work effectively as a Faraday cage (as people trying to use cell phones in steel frame skyscrapers will attest to :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.