stranded wire on devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

Since i started in the field I never liked to use stranded wire on devices.It always was a lot of work to get all the strands under the screws without them freying out everywhere.I always thought you had to use crimps,but everyone said dont worry about it.Ive seen some of the recepticals with the square pressure plates or the terminals similar to the ones on the back of gfci's.They are nice for stranded.
Most devices just say "12 cu " so i assume it is for solid or stranded.I cant find anything in the code that even mentions crimps.

When should they be or not be used?

Erik

iwire

Staff member
Re: stranded wire on devices

All UL listed devices are approved for stranded or solid wire at the screw terminals. :)

Beyond that it is just personal choice. :cool:

drg

Erik, Try re-twisting your stranded wires counterclock wise and then form a loop like you normally would with solid wire....this will make things a little better for you.

John

sparky 134

try this.... grab the insulation with your strippers about two inches or so from the end of the wire and strip about a 1/2" of insulation off the wire by pulling towards to the end of the wire. this exposes the copper and the remaining insulation keeps the strands from fraying. if the wire loops thru the box simply cut the insulation with your strippers about 1" apart and cut away the insulation between your cuts with your razor knife, no splicing and it is quick.

mjc

Sparky134 .... Thats exactly the reply I would have given. :cool:

Erik , The method Sparky suggests works like a champ , actually I thought we all did it that way the only difference may be is to wrap the device once with black electrical tape before the final installation.

wrestless

Not sure if its the same way SPARKY was using but he is right I strip back about 2 to 3 inches from the end of wire then I retwist the wire clockwise
and wrap around the device terminal with my diagonals then cut and tape if needed.

UncleRico

Thanks for the advice guys.I actually do terminate the way most of you said,but I just though crimps would possibly be easier,beter or faster.I guess it is just a personal choice,since the nec dosent address this.

thanks again
Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.