Storage building lighting inside units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawrenn18

Hello All,
I have a question regarding lighting inside the storage units of a climate controlled building. Is there a minimum or maximum amount required?

tw1156

Hello All,
I have a question regarding lighting inside the storage units of a climate controlled building. Is there a minimum or maximum amount required?

You have to meet your local energy code and that's it; most units we've done have used just a single light (think porcelain base w/ screw in LED lamp); with local energy codes dictating either a timer or a occupancy/vacancy sensor upon no activity.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I don’t know the exact answer to this..... but, I figured I’d share this much :

I rent a climate controlled storage unit, and there is no lighting inside the unit itself. The walls stop about 24” from the ceiling (there is a 4” wide section of channel steel splitting the gap so no one can climb in) and they only have corridor lighting. It’s enough light to see your way around the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
I don’t know the exact answer to this..... but, I figured I’d share this much :

I rent a climate controlled storage unit, and there is no lighting inside the unit itself. The walls stop about 24” from the ceiling (there is a 4” wide section of channel steel splitting the gap so no one can climb in) and they only have corridor lighting. It’s enough light to see your way around the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd never get through that gap, but I've known some that probably can. (That should leave 10" if the channel is centered) Be much easier if the gap were at the floor instead of top of wall though.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I've seen receptacles in the corridors outside the units. The renters could connect a drop light and extension cord if they needed light inside their unit. Otherwise only lighting and occupancy sensors in the corridors.

As to the gap, I think if it's on the bottom it would be real easy for someone to either reach in or fish stuff out since the contents are laying on the floor. Any gap at the top I've seen secured with heavy perforated screening.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.