Step Light Spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with chris1971 except I would probably put a 400w MH low bay at the foot of the stairs switched separatley just in case you need a bit more light. Seriously I would go every 4th step for accent lighting, but I would think about some sconces or ceiling light switched separatley for when the In Laws start living in your basement and grandma needs some extra light to get up the stairs @ 4:30am to make her tea.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What's the application? Recently did a Broadway theater, step light on every step.
And you guys thought I was exaggerating. ;)

There's no single answer, because there are so many variables:

Width and number of steps
Brightness and light spread
Height of lights above steps
Etc.

You could get decent coverage by alternating sides with each or each other step.

I've always thought a neat effect would be lighting inside the handrails, pointing downward.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Etc.

You could get decent coverage by alternating sides with each or each other step.

I've always thought a neat effect would be lighting inside the handrails, pointing downward.

Exactly, that's why I asked what the application is. Too many variables to give an accurate answer with the information given.

Keri_WW

Exactly, that's why I asked what the application is. Too many variables to give an accurate answer with the information given.

It's more of a path application. I'm ok with what I have on the steps, but I was trying to get an estimate for the path leading away from the top of the steps (low wall leading to the building). I was just too lazy to crack open AGI and test for myself! :grin:

Mr.Sparkle

I did a 3 tier deck (each level 1 step apart) last year where I spaced LED step lights 5 foot apart around the perimeter of each tier and staggered each row, man it looked awesome. I have pics somewhere, if I can dig them up I'll post them.

tkb

Etc.

I like it. Never saw that one.

Ohmy

Inside the house go every other step. Outside the house, every third. I like the response above about as many as you can sell. I have never had a customer complain about too much step lighting, but have many complain about too little.

ptrip

I like it. Never saw that one.

Etc.

http://www.lpa-group.com/led_hand_rail_lighting.shtml

http://www.lumenrail.com/pages/Lumenrail.htm

They're pretty cool! I can't seem to get hold of a project with the budget though! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.