static grounding, in hazardous location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyamkram

I found this in a class 1 division 1 location, from what I under stand it is not installed properly. See picture. from what i understander, the conduit and wire should be bounded together, should have grounding clamps at each end, thread on to ridige coundit. and wire clamped to the clamps at each end. if there is correct. where in 501.
would that be, or would it be in 250???

Thank you. for any and all information.

Attachments

• couduit in hazardous location..png
    couduit in hazardous location..png
    919.3 KB · Views: 21

reyamkram

See Section 250.86 Ex. No.2. Read it in context of the main text.
I do not understand how Ex 2, would apply to a hazardous location, and the conduit should be bounded at each end to help eliminate any and all static and sparks. Yes it dose support and protect the grounding wire. but in a class 1 division 1 should it be bound, to keep it all at the same plane
( 0 ). ???

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The rules for hazardous locations are the same as for ordinary locations unless specifically modified. If you want to start with either Section 501.30 or 250.100, which are the specific starting points for bonding in hazardous locations, and find a crossreference that requires the installation you describe, go for it. Of course, if an ordinary location requirement applies, then it would also apply, hazardous location or not.

reyamkram

The rules for hazardous locations are the same as for ordinary locations unless specifically modified. If you want to start with either Section 501.30 or 250.100, which are the specific starting points for bonding in hazardous locations, and find a crossreference that requires the installation you describe, go for it. Of course, if an ordinary location requirement applies, then it would also apply, hazardous location or not.
Thank you for your information.

Now in 501.30. if I recall right, I need to bound all the boxes together, no matter what the voltage is, so for low voltage 24 volts, I need to bound all the boxes that are in the hazardous boundry, ??

Thank you again.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I believe you are misinterpreting part of Section 501.30. Rather than recalling it, why not read it? You are correct about voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.