Starting business - What's the best way to get service work going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx2step

I live in a north Texas town, population of around 250,000. I'm just getting a new business started. What's the best way to get my name out to residential & commercial customers for service work?

John120/240

Word of mouth, friends & neighbors, service clubs ( Rotary, Lions, Optimist, Masons). Define what niche of the market you want to serve. Home Automation, Solar, C-Fans & receptacles, service up grades, remodel, etc. Which areas do you enjoy ? What are your strong & weak points ? Decide which direction you wish to pursue & then direct your efforts to that market.

Do you have a business plan ? Have you figured out all of your cost of doing business ?

Last edited:

david

Business cards to follow up word of mouth, in today's world social media , wife , mother, dad, brother sister, if they live in your area of service post a picture it would be nice if your business phone number happens to get caught in the background.

But as already stated word of mouth.

Keep in mind if you are going to give out free estimates it’s like anything else you may have a ten to one ratio starting out.

Do quality work. When you get an appointment show up on time, do not come across as being anxious make good eye contact be personable and shake peoples hands, Make sure you are aware of the strength of your hand grip, a firm grip but do not make them sorry they took your hand.

tx2step

Sorry, I've been out of pocket for a while & just got back around to checking this thread.

Thanks for the ideas! I'll try to incorporate them where I can.

Has anyone used the graphic wraps on their vehicle? I have a fairly large truck...it'd be almost like a mobile billboard...

If any of you have tried them, do you have any tips on how to do it best, and about how much it should cost?

Thanks!!!

rt66electric

FIND A NICHE

FIND A NICHE

FIND A NICHE troubleshooting a certain tool or setting.

How about a "power-ready' technician , go around change the oil and test run, once a year. $300

or become a "authorized repair tech" for something like welders or machine tools .

chain stores may be a good gig, but hard to come-by.

Keep your ears open for "I wish we knew somebody that could fix........"

tx2step

FIND A NICHE troubleshooting a certain tool or setting.

How about a "power-ready' technician , go around change the oil and test run, once a year. $300

or become a "authorized repair tech" for something like welders or machine tools .

chain stores may be a good gig, but hard to come-by.

Keep your ears open for "I wish we knew somebody that could fix........"

I'm not sure what a "power-ready tech" is, or what they do...would you elaborate on that?

Finding a niche of some type is a very good idea, especially a good long-term idea. But in the mean time, I need to find enough work to do to pay my bills!

I should have mentioned that I want to stay a one-man operation...I don't want employees. Been there, done that. There are pros and cons to either approach, but I just don't want to have the headaches of having employees and keeping them busy and profitable.

So none of you have used the "graphic wrap" covering for your truck or van? You know, the plastic wrap they apply to cover your vehicle so that it looks like it's been painted with neon paints by a sign or billboard artist? Some of the graphics are really elaborate and striking! Good ones attract a lot of attention. Some of them even cover the windows. I'd like to get some feedback from some of you guys that have done this already...experiences, suggestions, warnings, ideas, approximate costs, effectiveness, what to do and what not to do, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and the feedback!

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I'm not sure what a "power-ready tech" is, or what they do...would you elaborate on that?

Finding a niche of some type is a very good idea, especially a good long-term idea. But in the mean time, I need to find enough work to do to pay my bills!

I should have mentioned that I want to stay a one-man operation...I don't want employees. Been there, done that. There are pros and cons to either approach, but I just don't want to have the headaches of having employees and keeping them busy and profitable.

So none of you have used the "graphic wrap" covering for your truck or van? You know, the plastic wrap they apply to cover your vehicle so that it looks like it's been painted with neon paints by a sign or billboard artist? Some of the graphics are really elaborate and striking! Good ones attract a lot of attention. Some of them even cover the windows. I'd like to get some feedback from some of you guys that have done this already...experiences, suggestions, warnings, ideas, approximate costs, effectiveness, what to do and what not to do, etc.

business plan, first.

http://www.ellenrohr.com/the-bare-bones-biz-plan/
doing that this weekend will cost you $10. money well spent.

you don't need a vehicle wrap, you need customers.
the wrap is sexy, but if you spend $3k on the wrap, it won't make
you the $3k back to get to zero for a while.

do the business plan first. it's a pita. just do it.
don't make any purchases until you do it. honest.

if you do get a wrap, my suggestion is to make sure you use 3M film.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Whenever I see one of those vehicle wraps I'm thinking anybody that hires that guy is paying for a lot of flash. In my life's experience flash rarely equals substance or value.

Tony S

I always advise UK electricians to avoid decals (graphic wraps) on their vans (trucks) as they advertise good pickings for thief’s.

It may be secure at night, parked outside a house and you’re out of sight it doesn’t take long to remove the tools you’ve paid hard cash for.

Iron_Ben

The $2,000 vehicle wrap screams insecurity to me. The best electricians I know drive trucks with limited and understated graphics (Smith Electric 555-5555), or none at all. Spend that dough on tools or just keep it in your pocket.

iwire

Staff member
I always advise UK electricians to avoid decals (graphic wraps) on their vans (trucks) as they advertise good pickings for thief’s.

It may be secure at night, parked outside a house and you’re out of sight it doesn’t take long to remove the tools you’ve paid hard cash for.

We agree, but in many areas of the US some minimal marking of commercial vehicles is required by law anyway.

Usually the company name and trade license numbers must be on the vehicle. So with that and the ladders on the roof it is tough to hide.

Tony S

We agree, but in many areas of the US some minimal marking of commercial vehicles is required by law anyway.

Usually the company name and trade license numbers must be on the vehicle. So with that and the ladders on the roof it is tough to hide.

Many of our lads have upgraded the locks etc. They still get in. £1000 of tools will probably get £50 worth of crack.

Equipment insurance is getting to be a crippler for a sole trader. Add to that public liability and professional indemnity insurance.

Sad, sad world.

tx2step

Sounds like a graphic wrap may not be a great idea, at least for now.

Do any of you use a web presence of some kind? If so, does it seem to be working well for you?

I did a google search for "Electrician" and "Electrical Contractor" and the results weren't too impressive. But maybe they don't need to be very impressive?

I will attempt do a business plan ASAP. But getting my name out to potential customers is at least as important. If you don't have any customers, what good is anything else that you do? So I'm trying to get ideas and effective techniques from you guys that are already operating successfully...how do I go about getting my name out to people that want to have work done. I could be willing to do work for free, and still not have any work to do if the customers don't know about me. How to effectively connect with customers that want to have work done...that's the hurdle I'm trying to jump over right now. There is a population of 500,000 people in a 10 mile radius of me, so there should be plenty of work to keep me busy...so how do I connect with the people that want to have work done???

Thanks to everyone for your input and ideas!

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Sounds like a graphic wrap may not be a great idea, at least for now.

Do any of you use a web presence of some kind? If so, does it seem to be working well for you?

I did a google search for "Electrician" and "Electrical Contractor" and the results weren't too impressive. But maybe they don't need to be very impressive?

I will attempt do a business plan ASAP.

the lady i gave you that link for... this is on her web site....

"As president of Benjamin Franklin, The Punctual Plumber,
a home service company, I helped grow the company from
zero to $40 million in franchise sales and 47 locations in less
than 2 years. I am also the President of Zoom Drain and Sewer,
LLC, a new franchise company launching in Summer 2014."

she may also know something about marketing.........
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.