Stand By Generator "Show any load shedding on drawing. Provide load calculation sheet as per 2017 NEC 220.40"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobEndless

Occupation
Electrician
I am looking for some answers, I had submitted drawings to the department of buildings and they are now requesting to "Show any load shedding on drawing. Provide load calculation sheet as per 2017 NEC 220.40".

The customer has a 200 Amp service with 200 Amp rated ATS and a 20KW Honeywell standby generator. I needed to provide as the information as per the DOB request How to show shedding load on the drawings and is there a calculation sheet as per 2017 NEC 220.40 that I can input the customer's information to submit for the DOB to satisfy the their request. It is the first time I am installing a standby generator as a newly licensed electrician and submitting the documentations for a permit and having to answer the requested information. Thank you in advance for your time, input, and help.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Basically you need to show that the 20 KW generator can handle the entire load of the building so a load calculation is needed. If it is of adequate size then no load shedding is required. If it is not then typically a module is installed for one of the larger loads to shed that load if the demand on the generator gets too high.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You will have to do a complete load calculation for the building.

In some rare cases you may be able to get a demand load from your utility. For mine, I cannot get a demand load, only a kWH reading for 15 minute blocks of time, but that is not a demand and you need demand for this. The use of the maximum demand for this is permitted by 220.87.

RobEndless

Occupation
Electrician
Hi thanks for all of your feedback, I forgot to mention this is a Single Family home. I am adding 2 Generac 50-Amp Smart Management Module (SMM) for the Electric Oven and A/C Condenser. As far as a why a 200Amp ATS and 20KW the customer already purchased the equipment prior and cannot return it and wants to make it work.

Is there any forms that anyone knows of that I can input the customers's load?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hi thanks for all of your feedback, I forgot to mention this is a Single Family home. I am adding 2 Generac 50-Amp Smart Management Module (SMM) for the Electric Oven and A/C Condenser. As far as a why a 200Amp ATS and 20KW the customer already purchased the equipment prior and cannot return it and wants to make it work.

Is there any forms that anyone knows of that I can input the customers's load?
Go to www.mikeholt.com and look under "free stuff". I think there is a load calculation sheet there or elsewhere on his site.

RobEndless

Occupation
Electrician
I filled out this sheet (thru a google search) inputting the customer's equipment from their house. Does anyone believe this would be suffice? Is there any other recommendations on how to shed the Electric Oven beside the Generac 7000 50 amp smart module. I know the A/C condenser can be shed thru the on board relay in the ATS.

service-load-calculation.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.