Square D

Status
Not open for further replies.

four

I was wondering peoples opinion on the differences between the Qo and Homeline series. I have talked to square D and after talking to them there seems to be very little difference on how they are made. I was wondering if anyone has a selling point for one over the other. I know square d made Homeline to compete with cheaper models in home improvement stores but they both pass same testing. Any opinions would be appreciated

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Square D

There are a couple of selling points that can be made for the QO line. The first is the trip window. When you have a customer calling and saying that they have no power in an area, it is much easier to have them identify the tripped breaker by the red flag. Another selling feature is the vertical size of the panels. The QO breakers are a bit thinner than the Homeline breakers and as such a 200 amp main breaker QO panel is about 6" shorter than the Homeline panel. So if there is a space issue the QO might be the way to go. I like using the Homeline panel over the QO because the neutral bus bars extend further down each side of the panel rather than clumped up near the top where the main breaker is. (Just my personal preference).

On the down side, unless you're on a sales promotion program with your supply house, you'll probably pay twice the amount of money for a QO panel and breakers then you would had you chose to use the Homeline panel and breakers. Either way, both are great products.

[ November 22, 2004, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

shocker3218

I can tell you from personal experience that the only difference in breakers is the plastic (bakelite) case, the jaw where it snaps onto the busbar in the panel, and the handle. Other than those items, the breakers are assembled, tested, re-tested, visually inspected - by a very expensive vision sytem (cameras and computers) and packed by the same machines.

When I left the factory nearly 6 years ago, the output was 70,000 QO single pole breakers/day. Homeline was just starting up (took jobs away from Mexico for this) and they were at about 20,000/day.

By far, the most automated and advanced place I have ever seen.

Another advantage of QO if I may ad is its new loadcenter.

Its loadcenter is has insulated bus bars and only the leads for plug on are exposed.

You can also have a panelboard NQOD that will fit both Plug-on QO and Bolt On QOB aternately of both using the same panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.