Square D panels- Quick-Grip connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

Just curious about people’s thoughts about using them...

I can think of both pros and cons.
I haven’t used them. Just wondering about whether to try one.

growler

Interesting...,
Their promotional video on YouTube says panel change outs are easier because of them.

I have tried them and I don't like them.

On a new install they are not to bad but I would like to see someone fish a circuit into a panel with those connectors.

If I have a choice I will still use the older style knockouts.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I watched one of the videos. Sure looks like it would make new installs a lot easier.

Hard to tell with panel change outs. There are often cables going every which way in existing stuff that maybe does not work so well with this system.

I don't see how fishing would be any harder with this system than a knockout system. looks like it might be easier.

But like anything new, it is about getting people to change and most people are opposed to change, even if it would benefit them.

growler

But like anything new, it is about getting people to change and most people are opposed to change, even if it would benefit them.

I have changed out a lot of panels in my life and have not watched the first video on how to do so.

Many times you change out a panel that's the exact same size as the existing panel. If so you don't even need to remove the cable from the connectors. You spin off the lock nuts and pull out the cable with the connector still attached. You insert the cable and connector into a knockout in the new panel and install the lock nut. Everything goes back just the same as it was.

How can having to remove the cable from the old connector and install in this new plastic connector be of any benefit or save any time?

Also I don't think these new plastic connectors will stand the test of time the way the old metal Romex connectors have. Also I would like to see the back cable removed without removing the cables that are inserted in front of it.

Just because something is new or different doesn't make it better.

sw_ross

Yes, there is a front cover, but you still have to pull the cable out of the wall into the room to push it into the slot.
That’s my thought also,,,
They might be fine for fast wiring tract homes that have a set schedule of circuits, but I don’t want to be the electrician that comes in 12 months later to install a new circuit and try to fish a new HR into that panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.