Square-d 64 circuit breaker panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmer

Occupation
Retired
Purchased new home, says comes with square-d 64 circuit main panel. Model I have is QOC402MC with 40 breakers, is this the correct panel. My neighbours all have 60 outlets.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You have a 40 circuit panel so No it is not the correct one specified. I suspect they couldn't get a 60 cir panel. Are there spares in the panel? If you have plenty of space then I wouldn't worry about it

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The part number you provided is for the panel cover. The same cover can be used on several different panels. Your panel only has 40 openings.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I wonder if the neighbors have as many breakers. If all the breakers are used then you may have a case against them

Jimmer

Occupation
Retired
I want to ask builder but don't know if that's right or wrong panel, I don't know what square-d 64 circuit panel means, I can't find any info on internet, nothing specifies what that number means.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know it's 200 amp but not sure what the 64 means
Panels are labeled with both "space" and "circuit" counts. If your panel will accept tandem breakers, it could supply up to 64 circuits even with only 40 spaces.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It is hard to tell but as Larry said the panel could use twins which would give another 20 spaces. IMO, the panel shows dotted lines on each of the panel spaces labeled on the last 10 breakers. This means the bottom 10 breakers on both sides can be doubled. 40 +20 = 60

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Again, that is the panel cover which can be used on several panels. The cover needs to be removed in order to see the actual panel/interior part number.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
SD panels marketed as a 40/80 or 40/60 and the other slash panels to me seems a false advertising especially now with almost every circuit has requirements for AFCI in residential, given they don't offer a tandem AFCI breaker. But they're not alone in that falsehood.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Again, that is the panel cover which can be used on several panels. The cover needs to be removed in order to see the actual panel/interior part number.
Don't rely on the cover for how many spaces are left. Seen some where the owner said "I've got 4 spaces left". But you open panel and there is no more bus spaces left, its full. Then you have to tell the customer that to add what he wants you have to add another panel, and he wants to argue that there is still 4 spaces left "just look at the cover".

Status
Not open for further replies.