Sprinkler System in Electrical Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

hajijm

Does the NEC allow the omission of sprinklers head from rooms containing high- voltage electrical control equipment even though each equipment is provided with over current protection and the sprinkler is required by Uniform Building Code all thoughout the facility?.

hajijm@aramco.com.sa

ryan_618

Re: Sprinkler System in Electrical Room

No omission. The building code wants the sprinkler. I don't have the UBC here, but I know for a fact that this is the case with the IBC.

EDIT: Let me paraphrase the IBC, section 903.1.1.1 (Exempt locations of an NFPA 13 system)

"...Sprinklers shall not be omitted from any room merely because it is damp, of fore-resistance rated construction or contains electrical equipment".

[ January 06, 2004, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

wattey

Do you use many Halon/CO2 systems here in the US?

All our HV substations where I worked and indeed at the surrounding power plants used Halon.

Had one fire in a Mill substation, Yer extensive cable damage that took us over a week to pull in new cables and re-wire the loom, but there was no water damage :)

Just have to remember not to go rushing in there if the system goes off, CO2 is not very user friendly to humans lol.

Shaine~

EDIT-(I should add they were changing over to CO2 systems .. Cheaper and less destructive to the Ozone.)

[ January 06, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: wattey ]

wattey

I am guessing you wont be seeing many Halon systems over here. Just checked with the EU FIC and found that Halon is being removed. After 2003 no discharged Halon systems can be refilled in the UK except those falling under the following Exemptions:

ANNEX 3.1: CRITICAL USES OF HALON 1211
? In hand held fire extinguishers and fixed fire extinguisher equipment for engines for use
on board aircraft
? In aircraft for the protection of crew compartments, engine nacelles, cargo bays and
dry bays
? In fire extinguishers essential to personal safety used for initial extinguishing by fire brigades
? In military and police fire extinguishers for use on persons

ANNEX 3.2: CRITICAL USES OF HALON 1301
? In aircraft for the protection of crew compartments, engine nacelles, cargo bays and
dry bays
? In military land vehicles and naval vessels for the protection of spaces occupied by
personnel and engine compartments
? For the making inert of occupied spaces where flammable liquid and/or gas release
could occur in the military and oil, gas and petrochemical sector and in existing cargo
ships
? For the making inert of existing manned communication and command centres of the
armed forces or others, essential for national security
? For the making inert of spaces where there may be a risk of dispersion of radioactive
matter
? In the Channel Tunnel and associated installations and rolling stock

(Been a few years since I was in England ... obviously)

Shame I liked Halon, Did'ent kill me if it went off when I was in a Substation.

How often are CO2 systems used here then I should say ... I am assuming the US is phasing out Halon too. Also assuming that CO2 systems have the same *run-away* clauses that the UK had, IE there is some form of warning system in place that activates before system dump.

Shaine~

Status
Not open for further replies.