Spring Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
How/where are spring nuts used when attaching panel to strut on wall? Thanks........... ...............

Or ,ore specifically what the setups/steps of material install when mounting a panel to strut on wall?

Strut attached to wall with wedge anchors( to hold strut) then separate nuts attach to same anchor to hold panel?

Todd0x1

I'll add that you don't want the wedge anchors located directly behind the mounting holes in the panel, you need that space clear for the spring nuts and the bolt that will be coming out the back of them.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I'll add that you don't want the wedge anchors located directly behind the mounting holes in the panel, you need that space clear for the spring nuts and the bolt that will be coming out the back of them.
That's were I'm not clear. so a bolt get attached to where( for the panel)?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Spring nuts come in more than 1 thread size. With a 1/4" spring nut you simply align it behind the panel (the spring holds it in place) and install a 1/4" screw in the panel threaded into the spring nut.

Bluegrass Boy

Occupation
Commercial/ Industrial/ Maintenance Electrician
You can either put your bolt through hole in panel and thread the spring nut on just enough to not fall off bolt then hold panel up to strut , lining up spring nut, push in and turn bolt, should spin spring nut into position. Or you can measure panel back mount holes to center to center, and stick the spring nuts in strut first, hold panel up, and get bolts started.

Todd0x1

Here's a picture I put together for you. In the foreground is a wedge anchor which would be attaching the strut to the wall. Notice these can stick out quite a bit depending on how they get installed. Behind it is a spring nut installed in the strut with a bolt and washer installed into the spring nut. This is where you would mount your panel, the washer would go under the bolt head not behind the panel, might use and/or a lockwasher depending on the panel. Ignore the 4S boxes I just propped the piece of strut on them so I could drop the anchor through it for the photo. 20210112_104626-2400.jpg

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Yikes!

You attach the strut channel to the wall as you deem appropriate. Wedge anchors are fine.

You insert the spring nuts into the channel with your fingers. The spring just holds them in place. Stick them in and give them a quarter turn so they won't pop out. You can slide them anywhere you want after that BUT they probably won't pass your wedge anchors. So keep that in mind when deciding where to put the anchors, you don't want them where the mounting holes for the panel will be.

The spring nuts come in 1/4-20 which is what you will need- 1/4-20x 3/4" machine screws and fender washers to mount the panel. Place your panel, screw em' into the spring nuts, level it and tighten it down.

-Hal

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Here's a picture I put together for you. In the foreground is a wedge anchor which would be attaching the strut to the wall. Notice these can stick out quite a bit depending on how they get installed. Behind it is a spring nut installed in the strut with a bolt and washer installed into the spring nut. This is where you would mount your panel, the washer would go under the bolt head not behind the panel, might use and/or a lockwasher depending on the panel. Ignore the 4S boxes I just propped the piece of strut on them so I could drop the anchor through it for the photo. View attachment 2554919
Thank you very much!

Todd0x1

Yikes!

You attach the strut channel to the wall as you deem appropriate. Wedge anchors are fine.

You insert the spring nuts into the channel with your fingers. The spring just holds them in place. Stick them in and give them a quarter turn so they won't pop out. You can slide them anywhere you want after that BUT they probably won't pass your wedge anchors. So keep that in mind when deciding where to put the anchors, you don't want them where the mounting holes for the panel will be.

The spring nuts come in 1/4-20 which is what you will need- 1/4-20x 3/4" machine screws and fender washers to mount the panel. Place your panel, screw em' into the spring nuts, level it and tighten it down.

-Hal

eh, I bet that depending on location and the type of work they do (eg all residential) there are electricians who can go an entire career without touching strut. If I had to do something with Romex I'd probably have some questions....

Bluegrass Boy

Occupation
Commercial/ Industrial/ Maintenance Electrician
If your panel is large and heavy, and you feel that 1/4-20 bolts are not enough, you can upsize to 3/8, or even 1/2 in spring nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.