Splicing SE cable at drip loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi All,
I have a 200 amp service that the drip loop will not be long enough to be spliced to the utility service point. I was thinking about spicing a few feet of wire to the drip loop. I need to replace the broken head. It already is way too short. After I cut out the crimps, it will be even shorter. I believe 230.46 allows it. But wanted to post the question anyway.

Thanks,
Jim
NEC 2014

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You are correct.
230.46 Spliced Conductors.
Service-entrance conductors shall be permitted to be spliced or tapped in accordance with 110.14, 300.5(E), 300.13, and 300.15.

some difficulty may arise from the utility. They may have a particular height they want it, then you will need support per NEC.
230.54(c) says head shall be above the point of attachment

probably cost as much or more in headaches and money. Just replace it.

Last edited:

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Why are you not just letting the POCO make the splice and/or see if there drop doesn’t have enough slack to reach your service wire?

growler

probably cost as much or more in headaches and money. Just replace it.

Here if you replace that service cable the utilities would want a permit and inspection before they would do a reconnect or even reseal the meter.

You could change out the broken head without a permit and it would be faster and cheaper. Don't have to break the meter seal.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Why are you not just letting the POCO make the splice and/or see if there drop doesn’t have enough slack to reach your service wire?

plots of POCOs want the service head at a certain height to make their connections. On a pole, we want them within 3’ of the top.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Here if you replace that service cable the utilities would want a permit and inspection before they would do a reconnect or even reseal the meter.

You could change out the broken head without a permit and it would be faster and cheaper. Don't have to break the meter seal.
Yeah, it would require an inspection. But he’s talking about the services being too short.

im assuming their too short as in way low on the house.
if their at the correct height and they are just short, but at least say 8” for a loop, I’m with you. Change the head..

growler

Yeah, it would require an inspection. But he’s talking about the services being too short.

im assuming their too short as in way low on the house.
if their at the correct height and they are just short, but at least say 8” for a loop, I’m with you. Change the head..

I agree it's hard to tell what the real situation is.

I assumed that it just won't reach the power company's cable . Normally the linemen will splice in enough to reach.

Be nice to see a picture.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Some will. Depends on which people you get Also. you got some that are flexible and some that are hardbutts that just want to show authority and prove they are in charge.
Heck, I’ve even spliced them 10’ from the top of the pole. Not many electricians have a ladder tall enough to get within 2’ of the top. even if they do they don’t want to climb a ladder that high against a round pole.

I don’t blame them either.

i know most, since I’m also an EC here. Sometimes I get a call and they ask if my guys will finish strapping it up the pole when the bucket comes.
sure, why not... it’s only 45 seconds to 2 minutes of work.. they leave the material.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not many electricians have a ladder tall enough to get within 2’ of the top. even if they do they don’t want to climb a ladder that high against a round pole.

I don’t blame them either.
That reminded me of a job I did as a helper. We had to pull an overhead quadplex to the top of a pole that was set in the middle of a lumberyard to increase overhead clearance. To get me up there, I had to climb on top of a big bundle of lumber with a heavy wood extension ladder. Then, the yard's forklift picked up me on the lumber and put us atop another big lumber bundle.

Then, the forklift picked all of this up, put us (the lumber, the ladder, and me) against the pole, lifted us up to its maximum reach, then I had to stand and extend the ladder, climb up and tether myself around the pole with a length of 12-3 NM so I could lean back. I bored a hole through the top of the pole with a brace and bit (!) and installed an eye-bolt with nuts and washers.

After that was done, I had to use a come-along and a rope to pull the quadplex close enough to the pole to put a wedge grip on the bare conductor of the quadplex. It had to be a few feet away from the pole to get it tight. The last step was to pull the wedge grip close enough to the eye-bolt to put the bale wire through it and into the grip, and release the slack. Whew! :whistle:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
That reminded me of a job I did as a helper. We had to pull an overhead quadplex to the top of a pole that was set in the middle of a lumberyard to increase overhead clearance. To get me up there, I had to climb on top of a big bundle of lumber with a heavy wood extension ladder. Then, the yard's forklift picked up me on the lumber and put us atop another big lumber bundle.

Then, the forklift picked all of this up, put us (the lumber, the ladder, and me) against the pole, lifted us up to its maximum reach, then I had to stand and extend the ladder, climb up and tether myself around the pole with a length of 12-3 NM so I could lean back. I bored a hole through the top of the pole with a brace and bit (!) and installed an eye-bolt with nuts and washers.

After that was done, I had to use a come-along and a rope to pull the quadplex close enough to the pole to put a wedge grip on the bare conductor of the quadplex. It had to be a few feet away from the pole to get it tight. The last step was to pull the wedge grip close enough to the eye-bolt to put the bale wire through it and into the grip, and release the slack. Whew! :whistle:
Did you get pictures? :D

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi All,
A tree fell and broke the head. There is no drip loop. The wire is fairly new, all I need is about a foot to make a good drip loop. The head is about 20 feet in the air under a soffit. In 30 years I have never had the POCO disconnect and reconnect the service, unless it is an underground service. This is because it can be rather difficult to schedule them a time that is conducive with my schedule. The codes are different throughout the country. I do however admit, Pa is way behind the times. And I also think they need to change.
Ji

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
As an aside, recalling one of those 'drive u nuts' intermittent problems for one repetitive 'power fluctuation' service call(s) revealed two older splices w/worn friction tape (circa LBJ era) clacking together on windy days

I've tried to create a difference in lengths ever since...

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
plots of POCOs want the service head at a certain height to make their connections. On a pole, we want them within 3’ of the top.
top of what? If the pole has primary conductors at top and secondary conductors down lower I'm guessing you maybe want it 3' from the secondary conductors and keep it away from primary conductors period.

kwired

Electron manager
Hi All,
A tree fell and broke the head. There is no drip loop. The wire is fairly new, all I need is about a foot to make a good drip loop. The head is about 20 feet in the air under a soffit. In 30 years I have never had the POCO disconnect and reconnect the service, unless it is an underground service. This is because it can be rather difficult to schedule them a time that is conducive with my schedule. The codes are different throughout the country. I do however admit, Pa is way behind the times. And I also think they need to change.
Ji
POCO's are different everywhere also. Around here if it were new, many would like to see plenty of conductor to work with, that don't mean they will automatically reject it though. If it is a repair like you have some even might provide the needed extra conductor length, some may not. Their extension might be same type of conductor as the overhead drop though, but that is their issue should they do that.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi Kwired,
I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, if I get them involved a $400 job will turn into over $1000 job. Jut to replace a weather head. at that point I may as well replace the fairly new 35 feet of SE cable. all that because it’s a few feet short.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.