Splice/Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Hello. Have Riser with 4#350's. Need to feed fuse cut out( same scenario as pic) with 4#8's at 6 floors from this riser. What's best way to transition from the #350 to #8.
I've sen something like the attached pic before, but not sure what they mean by set screw connector? I know what that is obviously for conduit but not in a box for a tap/splice. Don't you usually have something like an Ilsco tap splice or insulation piercing connector? BTW would this be considered a tap or splice? I think a tap.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 33

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like they want these for your tap conductors. You have to check that the range of the connector will work with both 350's and #8's if not you may need larger tap conductors. Personally I would not use these I would opt for a connector that can go over the riser conductors without cutting them at every tap point.

pbtd-3-350__27825.1550002339.jpg

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... I've sen something like the attached pic before, but not sure what they mean by set screw connector? I know what that is obviously for conduit but not in a box for a tap/splice. ...
Probably Power Distribution Blocks - lots of manufacturers, Ilsco, Littlefuse, Marathon are a few. But they are big, maybe 6" x 3" per pole

As noted by Rob, Polaris taps are pretty good, but the range for 350kcmil only goes down to #6. And they tend to not be rated for fine strand.

I like these - 350kcmil to #10, double sided, rated for fine strand.
https://hubbellcdn.com/ohwassets/HCE/burndy/multiple-tap-connectors/burndy_unitap_catalog.pdf

I don't know about insulation piercing. As mentioned, for this application, sounds good - if the range is available

Status
Not open for further replies.