Splice kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi all,
I believe I have read a thread about this before, but with no definitive answer. I have a customer that needs two electrical outlets moved lower and there is no access from the above. He’s having mirrors installed and does not want any devices in the mirror area. The enclosed picture shows the splice kit that says it will be installed per code. I’ve talked about this with my electrical inspector in the past but he really has no idea if this is actually code compliant. He is a friend of mine as well so he was very honest with me. I wold like your opinions about doing this kind of splice.
Jim

F9E43E59-ECAA-43AB-9C6C-AB3B4579E5EF.jpeg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've used them for exactly the same purpose in kitchens, for example, when relocating receptacles and switches from the backsplash to the upper cabinet bottoms, and the cables come from below.

I've also used the tap version for adding a receptacle for an in-wall TV, as another example.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
See 334.40(B). Not all inspection authorities will consider this change a "repair" and these devices are only permitted to be concealed where they are used for a repair.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
1. Such devices are commonly used in original construction of manufactured homes, in particular for joining the two sections of a double wide. This application is not directly covered by the NEC.
2. The package describes a "two wire" connection. Definitely not for an MWBC, but I hope it also includes the third wire, namely the EGC.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
2. The package describes a "two wire" connection. Definitely not for an MWBC, but I hope it also includes the third wire, namely the EGC.
The tap only comes in 2-wire, but the joiner comes in both 2- and 3-wire; all are plus EGC.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just remembered, I believe it was in the late 90’s, I did a manufactured home. The home came in pieces and I plugged them together. It’s been a long time. So these have been around for a long time. Back then they must have been a very specialized product. Reading GoldDiggers reply jogged my memory. Thanks

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.