Spa Grounding / Bonding Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshephard

I am installing an outdoor, portable spa.

2003 680.43 F seems to require grounding of all electrical eqiupment ......

680.40 requires Part I.

680.26 B 5 seems to require bonding of all electrical equipment ......

Syntax wise, would .43 F cause exception to .26 B 5?

Anyway for my specific situation, customer has a rigid pipe buried under a paver patio and now wants a spa.

As I understand it, if I use a LFMC from pipe to spa I will be grounded, but not bonded. If I use a LFNC, I'm not grounded, and bonding for the rigid (and exposed fittings) would be required.

For looks, the bond clamp should be below the surface of the pavers.

Any suggestions as to intepretation/method, and if necessary, a source for burial listed clamp for bond to 3/4 rigid?

Would a bond at spa wall through bond bushing through LFMC to buried rigid be legitimate? (I'm thinking bonds don't carry through LFMC)

Thanks, Tim

jwelectric

Re: Spa Grounding / Bonding Method

There is a big difference between the equipment grounding conductor and equipotential bonding.

The equipment grounding conductor is covered in article 250 and the equipotential bonding is covered in 680.26/

If this tub is covered under the 2005 cycle of the code it will require a bonding grid to be installed under the pavers as outlined in 680.26.

Grounding is covered in 680.6 which will refer you to Parts V, VI, and VII of Article 250. in 250.118 (6)(c) you will find the LFMC.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.