soow cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymon

The facility I'm working in is using this soow cord to heat up outlets in 4sq. metal j-boxes, which run from cubicle to cubicle lying on the floor.Is this a violation to 400.8?
Thank you,
Jay

bphgravity

Re: soow cord

From your description, it does appear to be a violation of 400.8(1). Generally speaking, flexible cords are intended to be cord-and-plug connected and not "hard-wired". See Article 400.7(B). You may also want to check out Article 605 to see if it applies. :)

websparky

I agree Bryan!

Also, we need to consider
110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.
I would be willing to bet that the boxes are not listed for this type of use!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Portable cord is not a substitute for the fixed wiring of a building.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Just for the sake of discussion, would 527.4 allow this for a temporary installation? I recently had an architect ask me to show cubicles wired like this to relocate some employees while another portion of the building was being remodeled.

(Just for the record, I showed the cubicles feed from power poles from the ceiling. ;) )

Steve

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Here is my rebuttal:
ARTICLE 527 Temporary Installations
527.1 Scope.
The provisions of this article apply to temporary electrical power and lighting installations.

(B) 90 Days. Temporary electrical power and lighting installations shall be permitted for a period not to exceed 90 days for holiday decorative lighting and similar purposes.

As long as the wiring comes out after 90 days...

jaymon

Thank you all for your input,and future installations of this sort will not include cords as long as I'm on location.

Status
Not open for further replies.