Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
1st thing I'd like to do would be smash "idiot pen"

But would not because I'd like customer to think of me as helpful

So 1st thing I'd actually do is pretend I was taking his research seriously and try to be as tactful as possible, hoping he doesn't notice that my troubleshooting process is progressing without involving his tester

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
All it takes is mixing up a box's feed in or feed out with a switch leg during a switch replacement.
Sounds like those old homes with spider junctions in ceiling lights branching to receptacles. Can never trace these to beginning of line for reset devices, since every receptacle outlet is end of line, comming from some j-box in ceiling lights. The only way to A/GFCI protect plugs, without every reset button buried behind furniture, is to punt to a panel flipper.

guschash

I would start in panel. Leave off all breakers that trip. Find what circuit 3 way switch is on. Using lead cord energize circuit , see what's on this circuit. Going down panel one circuit a time till you find other circuit.

480sparky

I would start in panel. Leave off all breakers that trip. Find what circuit 3 way switch is on. Using lead cord energize circuit , see what's on this circuit. Going down panel one circuit a time till you find other circuit.

OK, so if it's the main that trips... and you turn the main off.... where ya gonna plug your cord in?

guschash

I would check panel ,then meter panel, check power from x-former , look at connections at pole. I would also check main breaker, maybe even put new one in.

480sparky

I would check panel ,then meter panel, check power from x-former , look at connections at pole. I would also check main breaker, maybe even put new one in.

If turning on a breaker trips the main, what would the meter, transformer and outside connections have to do with it?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Need more info. Did the 3-way switch, or wiring there of, have anything to do with the problem?
I would find out what was on the circuit that trips the main when the breaker for that circuit is turned on.
Unless the main isn't breaking contact on both legs, how is "half the house" going off?

Status
Not open for further replies.