Solve This Service Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Today's service call: Rental house has tripping breaker on electric stove. Go!

As before, please don't suggest a solution or step, then immediately demand the results. There's others on here that want to participate.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Need more detail: Can not be set at all, or trips only when plugged in, or only when turned on, etc.

powerpete69

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Turned off when I arrived. Trips both the 50a branch and 100a main when turned on.

In my opinion or guess, if it trips both 50A branch and 100A main, then it is a short circuit activating both of the instantaneous parts of the breaker curves on both breakers. This is an example of how there is no perfect breaker coordination especially during short circuit on instantaneous part of the curve. If it only trips breaker when turned on, must be fault on internal wiring after the switch not at the terminals.
Or I am totally wrong. Either way!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think you are saying that you can close both breakers, and that does not cause any trip. When you say that they trip when "turned on," do you mean the trip only happens when you turn on one (or more) of the stovetop burners, or is it when you turn on the oven's heating element? Are you close enough to the stove to hear any arcing when the trip occurs? Can you smell anything unusual after the trip occurs? My guess is that the stove needs to be replaced.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
Today's service call: Rental house has tripping breaker on electric stove. Go!

As before, please don't suggest a solution or step, then immediately demand the results. There's others on here that want to participate.

What happens when the stove is disconnected?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Something in the stove has shorted out. How old's the stove? Worth repairing?

Since just plugging in the stove pops the breaker (and I'm assuming it's with all of the knobs turned 'off')--

-- short in the power cord?
-- loose wire in the stove touching the frame (ie ground)?

480sparky

Something in the stove has shorted out. How old's the stove? Worth repairing?

Since just plugging in the stove pops the breaker (and I'm assuming it's with all of the knobs turned 'off')--

-- short in the power cord?
-- loose wire in the stove touching the frame (ie ground)?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Now here's the kicker. I took to cover off the j-box on the stove........... well, let me rephrase that: I forced the cover off the j-box on the stove.........

Here's what I found:

21001-stove-call-2.jpg

One connection had melted and the bolt came in contact with the cover. Not only shorted out, but welded itself to the cover.

And, as you can see, both connections have done the same thing. Look at the right side.

20999-stove-call-1.jpg

It had the same thing happen, and there's proof of this on the cover itself:

21003-stove-call-3.jpg

growler

I had a service call where on leg had come loose and welded it's self to the cover like that a few years ago. The difference was the terminal strip was not burned like that, it looked as if the stud had just broken off. I thought someone have tightened it a bit to much but the range was really old.

If anyone ever questions why you need a good ground you can show those pictures.

growler

I just noticed that not having a connector on that cord is probably not all that good and could have contributed to the failure by letting things move around and get loose.

Just a thought.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If anyone ever questions why you need a good ground you can show those pictures.
As well as the 4-wire major-appliance circuit change. Years ago, a customer's son was badly shocked within a week of the lights and clock stopping working on their electric range. When I pulled the range from the wall, I found that the power cord went through a hole in the floor, instead of into a range receptacle.

I found that the 3-wire range cord had been removed from the range, fed up from the crawl space, and re-installed without the cord clamp. I found that a single strand of each of the the stripped ends of the SE cable had been threaded through the holes of the prongs of the power cord and twisted around itself.

This was apparently done as part of a kitchen remodel that included relocating the range to a kitchen wall farther from the panel, and unfortunately for the son, closer to the sink. Inside the wiring compartment, the neutral conductor had pulled out of the crimped-on terminal, energizing the cabinet of the range.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
As well as the 4-wire major-appliance circuit change. Years ago, a customer's son was badly shocked within a week of the lights and clock stopping working on their electric range. When I pulled the range from the wall, I found that the power cord went through a hole in the floor, instead of into a range receptacle.

I found that the 3-wire range cord had been removed from the range, fed up from the crawl space, and re-installed without the cord clamp. I found that a single strand of each of the the stripped ends of the SE cable had been threaded through the holes of the prongs of the power cord and twisted around itself.

This was apparently done as part of a kitchen remodel that included relocating the range to a kitchen wall farther from the panel, and unfortunately for the son, closer to the sink. Inside the wiring compartment, the neutral conductor had pulled out of the crimped-on terminal, energizing the cabinet of the range.

As you probably already know, the exact reason for four wire cords now, and four wire once it leaves the service disconnect!

Status
Not open for further replies.