Solid and Stranded same Ckt.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2ok9

I have a 110 volt 20 amp ckt. that has #12 solid for the hot and ground, the neutral is #12 stranded. I searched the NEC 2002 and all it tells me is the conductors in a ckt have to be the same size and have the same insulation factors. Is this kosher or have I missed something?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Solid and Stranded same Ckt.?

h2ok9,
I searched the NEC 2002 and all it tells me is the conductors in a ckt have to be the same size and have the same insulation factors.
Where does the NEC say this? There is no code issue mixing solid and stranded or even different wire sizes and insulation types in the same circuit.
Don

h2ok9

Thanks Don, I did not read the whole article (310.4). Skimming through looking for an answer. So you don't think there is a code violation in the ckt.?

Allen

ryan_618

Do you think it creates a danger?

I just realized you were talking about 310.4. That section is for parralled conductors, which does not apply to your installation.

[ March 06, 2004, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

iwire

Staff member

310.4 is only talking about parallel conductors which are only allowed for wire sizes 1/0 and larger.

Even then phase A parallel conductors can be different from phase B conductors.

None of 310.4 will apply to a 20 amp 120 circuit unless you have a whole lot of voltage drop. ;)

h2ok9

No danger involved. The equiptment pulls 200 watts and the ckt is 90 ft. long.

Allen

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I don't know why anyone would choose to run a circuit like that, but it does not violate the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.