Solenoid Cable - Wash Down rated

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

LincHawk

I’m looking for some cable to wire to an electric solenoid. It needs to be wash down rated since it’s on a conveyor for food processing.

What type of cable is best used for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I use solenoids with a female plug then buy the cable that matches, its a square plug, or can sometimes can order with long leads and use carfex to a j box.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Standard DIN 43650 connectors, as used on hydraulic and pneumatic solenoids (and other electrical connections such as transducers and switches) are available suitable for IP67 environments. My customers use them in washdown applications with common PVC cables; tray cable would be that. Frequently, the connectors are molded to the cable, but compression glands are similarly common.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Sorry guys I have to differ. DIN connectors for Solenoids are one of the stupidest creations in the known universe.
The are a mickey-mouse, ultra cheap, hard to terminate way, to put wire on a holding coil and they are not truly washdown rated, as far as I know. Only something like IP65 which is lame. I have bought some DIN connectors that allow for coming in with 1/2 flex conduit, but the weight of such is another knock on the overly fragile, major cheap plastic, DIN design. They simply refuse to make anything large enough or robust enough to work well in and industrial setting. What we have are things that are substandard on a good day. The units I have conduit on will have to be replaced with cable gland connectors in the future which is a downgrade. That is a bunch of exposed cable in the plant where liquid tight conduit would be 100x better. I went looking for a well made valve body in the sizes we use from 1/2 FPT to 2" FPT, and the only ones with decent electrical connectors are the big steam servos. They almost do not exist.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry guys I have to differ. DIN connectors for Solenoids are one of the stupidest creations in the known universe.
The are a mickey-mouse, ultra cheap, hard to terminate way, to put wire on a holding coil and they are not truly washdown rated, as far as I know. Only something like IP65 which is lame. I have bought some DIN connectors that allow for coming in with 1/2 flex conduit, but the weight of such is another knock on the overly fragile, major cheap plastic, DIN design. They simply refuse to make anything large enough or robust enough to work well in and industrial setting. What we have are things that are substandard on a good day. The units I have conduit on will have to be replaced with cable gland connectors in the future which is a downgrade. That is a bunch of exposed cable in the plant where liquid tight conduit would be 100x better. I went looking for a well made valve body in the sizes we use from 1/2 FPT to 2" FPT, and the only ones with decent electrical connectors are the big steam servos. They almost do not exist.

Depends on plant conditions. Having worked in food production industry where there is a lot of washdown activity, raceway is the worst wiring method for many things, lets too much water in, especially drops to motors, solenoid valves, limit switches and similar items in/on/near direct production equipment.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
StarCat said:
I don't know where you bought whatever you did, but good quality DIN M12 and M8 connectors are rated IP67 and IP69K (IP69K is submersible, akin to NEMA 6P). Brad Harrison connectors (now part of Molex) are the best I have seen. They have different versions, I like the Ultralock ones because they have a push-on cam locking system, but they make the regular screw-in type as well.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I don't know where you bought whatever you did, but good quality DIN M12 and M8 connectors are rated IP67 and IP69K

I also like the M18 (aka Daniel Woodhead or Brad Harrison in industrial hydraulics). I was told, 1985 or so, that they were introduced for the Big 3 automobile facilities so that electrical wires weren't exposed and a valve replacement could be done by a mechanic without an electrician being there also.

The DIN 43650 is a totally different beast, and nowhere near as robust ... but inexpensive. From Molex, cable gland, 2P+G, https://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/1212010003_FIELD_ATTACHABLE.xml They are available in 3P+G for switches and transducers, and with translucent bodies containing LEDs for visual indication of power.

I don't see THEIR NPT internal thread product. I generally agree with others that is is mechanically not the best, too much torque for the small screw.

I also have not kept up very well with standards. It appears that DIN 43650 is now "Conforms to EN175301-803". Live and learn.

The largest USA manufacturer to my knowledge is Canfield Connector. Their EN175301-803 products are at https://www.canfieldconnector.com/products.php?prodtype=Solenoid Valve Connectors#productresults

StarCat

Occupation
Jraef, those connectors shown are not the same pin configuration, but look possibly of interest if they can be gotten with the right one.
The conduit connector 1/2FPT DIN's are a joke, and cannot support the weight of the connected conduit. This causes all the stress to go on the male pins of the solenoid, unless you tie the conduit up somehow, so cable makes more sense.
This is what they look like, with the bottom pin not being used:
When I have spoken to sales guys at places like Parker, they choke on such requests.
The outfit I have been buying valve bodies from does not have this offering that I have seen, but I may have to dig deeper. This is mainly for 1/2-1" FPT for general plant duty solenoids.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Jraef, those connectors shown are not the same pin configuration, but look possibly of interest if they can be gotten with the right one.
The conduit connector 1/2FPT DIN's are a joke, and cannot support the weight of the connected conduit. This causes all the stress to go on the male pins of the solenoid, unless you tie the conduit up somehow, so cable makes more sense.
This is what they look like, with the bottom pin not being used:
When I have spoken to sales guys at places like Parker, they choke on such requests.
The outfit I have been buying valve bodies from does not have this offering that I have seen, but I may have to dig deeper. This is mainly for 1/2-1" FPT for general plant duty solenoids.

Common sense tells you that such a device or other devices that can be installed or located inside the vicinity of a robotic-based machine-- can not have bulky raceways like metal conduits--that will interfere with its operation.

Having said that--flexibility is utmost importance.
And besides, if flexibility is not a great factor for functionality. . . why would you rely on the device to support the aforementioned metal raceway (conduit).

Most that I had worked on like food packaging and CNC machines use non-metallic flex raceways with flexible extension (cord) and with appropriate fittings at connection points to prevent water intrusion.
Machines that have hydraulic/pneumatic components.

Wash down is a common order of the day in food processing plants—usually at the end of a work shift.

LincHawk

I use solenoids with a female plug then buy the cable that matches, its a square plug, or can sometimes can order with long leads and use carfex to a j box.

The solenoids I just installed needed the cables made up on the female plug. This was not very easy to do. Everything is working but in the future I would prefer to use the pre-made cables and then take the lead up to a jbox. That would have been a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Common sense tells you that such a device or other devices that can be installed or located inside the vicinity of a robotic-based machine-- can not have bulky raceways like metal conduits--that will interfere with its operation.

Having said that--flexibility is utmost importance.
And besides, if flexibility is not a great factor for functionality. . . why would you rely on the device to support the aforementioned metal raceway (conduit).

Most that I had worked on like food packaging and CNC machines use non-metallic flex raceways with flexible extension (cord) and with appropriate fittings at connection points to prevent water intrusion.
Machines that have hydraulic/pneumatic components.

Wash down is a common order of the day in food processing plants—usually at the end of a work shift.

As well as between batches or other procedures sometimes.

StarCat

Occupation
I never said anything about connecting heavy metal conduits to solenoid coils. I am speaking about using Liquid tight flex conduit in these cases, which can be too heavy for the Engineering of the plastic DIN connector that is made to receive a 1/2" connection. You can fit these with 1/2 flex, but the total assembly is " weak." This limitation was of course unknown when that style was tried. All kinds of flex conduits in the field are " Free Floating from the last Junction Box to the Load. This is common. The reason why is the former solenoid was of the old style with a solid, and sturdy metal case that accepted a 1/2" LT, connector and the repair with the new style coil assembly had to be done quickly without rewiring back to the next junction. Its about being forced down a particular path with the former being suddenly gone from the scene with major time constraints.
All of this DIN culture thing is now clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.