Solar Battery Cable- SGT SAE J1127 Battery Automotive Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew_L

Occupation
Engineer
Hello,
First time here. New project involving off-grid solar upgrade. What is NEC code regarding the type of rating to use for solar battery cable? My technician prefers the SGT SAE J1127 Battery Automotive Cable. A colleague brought up NEC Code and proposed XLP/USE-2/RHH/RHW-2 WIRE cable. I am looking for 2/0 AWG in a shelter environment somewhere in Alaska. The first one has 1,254 strands of conductor and pretty flexible vs the second is only 19 strands. Thank you.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The NEC probably doesn't allow the automotive. Fine stranded versions of NEC covered types are probably available (although how much flexibility do you need for a stationary installation?). Note that fine stranded conductors require special termination parts and methods.

Andrew_L

Occupation
Engineer
Hi Jaggedben,
I have two stacks in parallel of GNB batteries for 24VDC system, so it would be from them to my DC panel bus. I say 5 ft. or so. Yes, this document pg. 25 (15) did mention not to use welding/automotive, https://www.solaris-shop.com/content/NEC.pdf. What do you recommend for fine strand conductors at 2/0 awg for short run say for my 175 amp inverter breaker that needs the flexibility? I am trying to get a sample of XLP/USE-2/RHH/RHW-2 WIRE to see what the bending radius at 19 strands. Thank you.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Carol Cable has a 2/0 welding cable that is dual listed as RHH/RHW and that can be used for NEC applications.
That cable has 3300 stands of 34 AWG so it will be very flexible. You will need to make sure the termination devices are suitable for that very finely stranded conductor.

Super Vu-Tron® Welding Cable, 90ºC, 600 Volt, UL/CSA, RHH/RHW

Andrew_L

Occupation
Engineer
Carol Cable has a 2/0 welding cable that is dual listed as RHH/RHW and that can be used for NEC applications.
That cable has 3300 stands of 34 AWG so it will be very flexible. You will need to make sure the termination devices are suitable for that very finely stranded conductor.

Super Vu-Tron® Welding Cable, 90ºC, 600 Volt, UL/CSA, RHH/RHW

Thank you Don_resqcapt19. I found the cable at https://www.prowireandcable.com/2-0-awg-vutron-welding/ at premium price of $7.39/ft. and only in Orange. Are most solar systems use this cable or the battery/automotive welding SAE J1127 cable that is not NEC RHH/RHW rated? Is it illegal or just not best practice?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hi Texie, I am not familiar with type W. Can you elaborate? Thank you.
Type W power cable is a portable cable covered in Article 400. It is also a finely stranded cable but the uses of Article 400 cords and cables are limited. See 400.10 and 400.12. Also look at Note 7 to Table 400.4. It is my opinion that the code does not permit Type W cable or any other Article 400 cable for your application.

You could look to Diesel Locomotive Cable (DLO) that has the additional marking of RHH/RHW. That is a cable that has fine strands, but not a fine as the dual rated welding cable. The 2/0 DLO if looked at had 325, 24AWG strands and it is available in black. It will be $4-5 per foot.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thank you Don_resqcapt19. I found the cable at https://www.prowireandcable.com/2-0-awg-vutron-welding/ at premium price of $7.39/ft. and only in Orange. Are most solar systems use this cable or the battery/automotive welding SAE J1127 cable that is not NEC RHH/RHW rated? Is it illegal or just not best practice?
Many solar systems have installations that do not comply with the requirements of the NEC. Many inspectors will reject the battery cable, but others many approve it. It is "illegal" (code violation) where the NEC applies to the installation.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Many solar systems have installations that do not comply with the requirements of the NEC. Many inspectors will reject the battery cable, but others many approve it. It is "illegal" (code violation) where the NEC applies to the installation.

It's not the wild west in solar anymore. I'd say the these days solar installations are as likely to fully comply with the NEC as any other installation. The OP shouldn't expect any different attitude from an inspector for a solar installation, to be clear.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Type W power cable is a portable cable covered in Article 400. It is also a finely stranded cable but the uses of Article 400 cords and cables are limited. See 400.10 and 400.12. Also look at Note 7 to Table 400.4. It is my opinion that the code does not permit Type W cable or any other Article 400 cable for your application.

You could look to Diesel Locomotive Cable (DLO) that has the additional marking of RHH/RHW. That is a cable that has fine strands, but not a fine as the dual rated welding cable. The 2/0 DLO if looked at had 325, 24AWG strands and it is available in black. It will be $4-5 per foot.
I should have pointed out that like DLO, type W would also need the additional marking of RHH or similar. And like DLO, type W often does.
But I would agree that you are correct in the strict sense.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I should have pointed out that like DLO, type W would also need the additional marking of RHH or similar. And like DLO, type W often does.
But I would agree that you are correct in the strict sense.
I did not know that....thanks!

Andrew_L

Occupation
Engineer
Thank you all. I really learned a lot. It’s too bad DLO is not as common as the the battery/automotive welding cable that we are all familiar with.

PWDickerson

Occupation
Solar Contractor
Cobra X-Flex is UL listed and sold by a ton of online solar distributors in #2/0 and #4/0 black and red. As Jagged Ben said, make sure you get crimp terminals that are listed for fine strand conductors. Or better yet, buy the cables in the right length with the terminals already crimped.

Andrew_L

Occupation
Engineer
Cobra X-Flex is UL listed and sold by a ton of online solar distributors in #2/0 and #4/0 black and red. As Jagged Ben said, make sure you get crimp terminals that are listed for fine strand conductors. Or better yet, buy the cables in the right length with the terminals already crimped.

Thank you. I see the Cobra X-Flex from various Solar and cable vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.