So I am now certified in UL508a

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
How was it? Curious because I’ll be going through this MTR process soon based on their new reqs.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have seen a number of improperly wired UL 508A panels. One job was required to be corrected in the field (near Seattle) by the CA company, with a permit and reinspection.
The panel was for a third party, probably low bid, if no one is checking.
I heard UL is now a for profit company.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have seen a number of improperly wired UL 508A panels. One job was required to be corrected in the field (near Seattle) by the CA company, with a permit and reinspection.
The panel was for a third party, probably low bid, if no one is checking.
I heard UL is now a for profit company.
I suspect your observations are what has at least partially led you well to this requirement of testing.

What kind of improper wiring practices have you seen? Just curious. I've seen a lot of things done in UL listed panels that I would prefer not be done but that are perfectly acceptable to the UL 508A standard.

People have a lot of different ideas about what you will 508A requires and in a lot of cases they're just wrong about it. On the other hand there are probably a fair number of UL 508A shops especially those overseas who just don't give a rat's ass or don't know any better.

I get the story from our shop periodically that the UL inspector didn't say anything about what they did so it must be okay. The thing is the UL inspectors aren't all that great either and usually they inspect to a bunch of different standards so their ability to thoroughly understand any particular standard is very limited. They do their best but it's up to the manufacturer to follow the rules.

It was not real hard. Four hours open book

A few years ago I took a UL test for the UL PV installer certification or whatever its called. I needed it to get PV system rebates from my State. It was about the same IIRC, 4 hours open book. I would also classify it is not that hard. But of course I have been an electrician for 15-20 and done PV for years prior.

cpickett

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Deadline has been extended to Feb 1, 2021! Also, they released a free eLearning course and free access to the standard in order to prepare. Of course they release free access right after we spend $1k on a copy of the latest standard...

Todd0x1

Deadline has been extended to Feb 1, 2021! Also, they released a free eLearning course and free access to the standard in order to prepare. Of course they release free access right after we spend $1k on a copy of the latest standard...

Do you have a link? I couldnt find it.

cpickett

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Do you have a link? I couldnt find it.

www.ul.com/lms

login or create an account if you need to. click 'enrollment key' and enter key UL508ALEARN

same process as signing up for the test, test is key UL508AMTR

standards are accessed by going to www.ulstandards.com and you have to create a different account using your company info and file # to get access

I asked our field engineer about the deadline extension and he sent a few PDFs with the above steps in more detail, wasn't sure if I should post those here but your field rep should be able to get you the same docs.

Status
Not open for further replies.