So Cal Edison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer that has a Elevator on site that will not run with voltage under 200 VAC with thte local power grind to a strain I recorded 192 VAC phase to phase. That reading is well under the 5% alowable that Edison must meet. I am now tring to find some way to regulate the power for the Elevator Equip. on my customers end any Ideas of a good product to make this happen and ALSO does my customer have any recourse agaist edison for providing such low voltage???

ron

Re: So Cal Edison

I don't have a document, but I thought the utility has plus or minus 10% to offer. 187-229V

I'm not aware of any recourse.
You can provide a generator backup and have it activate at 200V.

[ July 26, 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: ron ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The voltage could vary up and down as the day wears on. So a generator could be starting and shutting down many times during a day. That's not healthy for the engine.

I suppose you could interpose a transformer and adjust it's taps to raise the voltage. But that could give you an excessively high voltage during part of the day. Do you know the upper limit of voltage that the equipment can tolerate?

ccjersey

Is the voltage you measured at the service entrance, so you know it is the power co and not the building wiring?

If you cannot permanently raise the voltage to the elevator with the supply transformer tap, couldn't there be an automatic tap changer that responds to voltage to select the correct tap.

Or maybe the elevator manufacturer will allow a lower setting than the 200V.

Jim

physis

I thought the PUC enforced standards for this sort of thing?

Edit: Here's a link for the California Public Utility Commision. I can't figure out how to find anything useful there (typical California government wild goose chase information availability) but maybe someone else knows how.

[ July 27, 2005, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

EEPeder

Please start by contacting your friendly local power company. We're here to help. SCE responds to 100's of low voltage calls per day from our 4.6million customers. The call center number is 1-800-611-1911. Should you be unable to resolve this thru normal channels in a few days please private message me.

Status
Not open for further replies.