smoke detectors on arc fault circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwill

I live in Texas where the 2002 code is the adopted code. We have state licensing, and city are allowed to make changes to the code with an ordinance. The building offical has made a decession to exclude smokE DETECTORS FROM the requirments of 210.12 (B)

(c) A municipality may adopt procedures for the:

(1) adoption of local amendments to the National Electrical Code; and

(2) administration and enforcement of that code

I would think that the intent of the state law was to allow the city to have more stringent requirements not less
what do you think
drwill

bphgravity

Re: smoke detectors on arc fault circuit

I cannot comment on the intent, but I do have an idea of what could be a result of amending the code with less stringent requirements. It basically opens the doors for lawsuits. The code making process is intense. Look what it takes to get the NEC changed. I doubt the city official has put this change through the same scrutiny and peer review that the NEC process does. So in my opinion, the city better have a really good reason with a lot of really good data and research backing up this decision, because I guaranty there is a few dozen ambulance chasers running around the city waiting for a house to burn down.

charlie

Bryan, I don't think the tort laws will permit the lawsuits. The State of Indiana only requires the circuits feeding receptacle outlets to be protected with AFCIs.

I don't have a clue as to the ramifications of a local jurisdiction relaxing a state law. When the state makes a law, such as adopting the NEC with amendments, the law didn't already exist. Also consider, each state is different. :D

pierre

NFPA has excluded fire alarm systems from AFCI and GFCI protection... maybe this is where they are basing their info from.

I agree that if the NEC is adopted, in order to change a requirement, it is supposed to be more stringent.

Sometimes a poor sucker is made an example of for all of us to learn from.

charlie

I agree that if the NEC is adopted, in order to change a requirement, it is supposed to be more stringent.

I agree if is already adopted into law such as the original post. However, if it has not been adopted into law already, there is no requirement to adopt any requirements. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.